Is too much ammonia detrimental for plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DaemonPhantom

Reaction score
I'm currently cycling a 5gal tank for a planted nano shrimp tank. It's been exactly a week since I set up the tank with plants. I expected some plants to melt, but the rate at which some are melting is crazy. I have some crypts which are doing well and pearlweed, but the rotala h'ra and moneywort is melting like crazy from the bottom of the stems. I got my water tested at my lfs and they just told me that the "numbers are extremely high". I'll get it checked again in another week, but I'm just wondering if it could be detrimental to some plants if the ammonia level is actually too high. I have a grow light on the tank currently and there is noticeable grow, even from the plants that are melting. I'm just a bit confused and the last time I had an aquarium was 7 years ago, so I don't quite remember everything like I used to.

I'm currently cycling a 5gal tank for a planted nano shrimp tank. It's been exactly a week since I set up the tank with plants. I expected some plants to melt, but the rate at which some are melting is crazy. I have some crypts which are doing well and pearlweed, but the rotala h'ra and moneywort is melting like crazy from the bottom of the stems. I got my water tested at my lfs and they just told me that the "numbers are extremely high". I'll get it checked again in another week, but I'm just wondering if it could be detrimental to some plants if the ammonia level is actually too high. I have a grow light on the tank currently and there is noticeable grow, even from the plants that are melting. I'm just a bit confused and the last time I had an aquarium was 7 years ago, so I don't quite remember everything like I used to.
Can you show some pictures

you should buy a good test kit...most here go with the API test kit which tests for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. You need to get an accurate read for the ammonia. If over 3ppm, you would need to remove enought water to bring the ammonia down to 2 to 3 ppm. Too high an ammonia level during cycling can stall a cycle.
And yes...too high an ammonia level can be detrimental to plants.
Are you following the fishless cycling guide on our forum. The link for cycling is here.

Last edited:
you should buy a good test kit...most here go with the API test kit which tests for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. You need to get an accurate read for the ammonia. If over 3ppm, you would need to remove enought water to bring the ammonia down to 2 to 3ppm. Too high an ammonia level during cycling can stall a cycle.
And yes...too high an ammonia level can be detrimental to plants.
Are you following the fishless cycling guide on our forum. The link for cycling is here.

I'm trying to follow that guide. All I did was add substrate, plants, a filter, and a heater. Nothing else had been added to the tank. I was planning on adding Stability at the 14 day mark after retesting and go from there.

I'm avoiding buying a test kit because my lfs uses the API freshwater test kit. They were just slammed when I went in to get the water tested so I never got to see an actual reading. I plan on going when it's quieter next time to get an actual reading.

They said that the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were high, so I imagine that it's actually starting to cycle.

You would definitely benefit from getting your own test kit. The convenience of doing your own tests is a big benefit as you will need to do many tests over the course of cycling a tank. And it takes 5 weeks or longer to complete the process.

You would definitely benefit from getting your own test kit. The convenience of doing your own tests is a big benefit as you will need to do many tests over the course of cycling a tank. And it takes 5 weeks or longer to complete the process.
It's free at my lfs, so I'd rather drive 5 minutes to go pick up dog food and also test the water for free.

without the actual numbers for levels of ammonia etc, their test is useless.... I still recommend you buy your own test kit. It will last for years of tests. But whatever floats your boat.;)

100% agree. Buy your own test kit. It's not expensive and later in time if you have sick fish you can then rule out water parameters yourself. Also it's satisfying to see the results of your cycle yourself.

Ammonia kills fish, plants and bacteria. Never add ammonia to a tank with fish or plants in it, period. Some plants are more sensitive depending upon the level, but it is one of those risks that you really do not need to take and therefore should not take.

If you get the plants growing, and some are fast-growing species (substantial floaters are best for this), you can "silent cycle" as they say. It is safer all round.

If you want to add a bacterial supplement out of over-caution, use Tetra's SafeStart. Stability does not have the correct nitrifying bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back