Is This Too Much

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just put a fluval U4 in my 200 litre tank in addition to a aquael unifilter 750, and a koralia 1600. This gives me a combined flow of 3350 lph, of which 1750 lph is filtered. Is this too much? I'm keeping an eye on the fish, but at the moment everything looks ok. Advice please.

its quite a lot. y did you add it. i suppose most of your stocking will be fine however i cant imagine your guarmis will be pleased about it

Sounds very similar to the setup in my Rio240 (internal with 1000 pump, Eheim 2078, Koralia 1) for my Ilyodon xantusi; Chaetostoma milesi; Phenacogrammus cf. nigropterus; Steatocranus tinanti.

The rasboras and danios will love it, but keep an eye on the gourami and rams. Perhaps overnight set the U4 to mode "B" to spread the current output over a larger area, until you know everyone is happy.

Thanks guys. The unfilter flow is mid level back of tank, and the U4 is on setting B also at the back of tank. The koralia is facing diagonally down at the front. At the moment, there is little flow at front middle to top, which is where the gouramis usually hang about so I am keeping an eye on them. The plan is to gradually remove the unifilter when the U4 can deal with bioload as I think it is a better filter. After 4 hrs the water is already looking cleaner

would it not be a better idea to fill the new filter with the old filter media. running all three then taking one out may lead to a small spike

would it not be a better idea to fill the new filter with the old filter media. running all three then taking one out may lead to a small spike

I have seeded the new filter by putting a quarter chunk of media in the U4 media cage. The plan is to leave the U4 running for about a month, then remove one sponge from the Aquael to increase the U4 bacteria count again, then remove the Aquael filter after another month. This is probably allowing too much time, i am trying to calculate how long it will take for the new filter to be at optimal bacteria count at each stage with the other filter running but i am struggling to calculate that. Obviously when they are both fully functional they will share the bioload, so as you say, i can t just remove the Aquael without the doing the above. just trying to get a handle on how long each stage will take

I'd just take all of the filter media out in one switch to the new filter and be done with it. You'll still want to monitor your tanks stats for a spike but you shouldn't have one.

As long as the fish aren't struggling against too much current, I think the more flow, the better. Within reason of course.

Scott MacAdam said:
I'd just take all of the filter media out in one switch to the new filter and be done with it. You'll still want to monitor your tanks stats for a spike but you shouldn't have one.

Unfortunately the media doesn't fit.
angry.gif

KISSfn said:
As long as the fish aren't struggling against too much current, I think the more flow, the better. Within reason of course.

They are still happy, and the rams have spawned yet again, so it can't be that bad.
good.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back