Is this something wrong?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Magikarps

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have been keeping guppies and mollies now for around 6 weeks and so far everything has gone to plan.
Had a few unfortunate casualties along the way sadly as expected. We currently have mollies, guppies and an african dwarf frog and have recently added nerite snails to our aquarium. We also have 3-4 plants in here.

I'm noticing floating things (not sure what they are) in the water.. I'm unsure if this is fungus or bacteria or some kind of egg? Please see photo

From the water tests I've done for PH and nitrates etc these all seem to be ok

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

7aaB7E1.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What are your exact water parameters?

How often do you clean the tank? How often do you clean the filter?

I suggest, for right now, to do a 70% water change, and then test for all parameters. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The cream fluffy things look like fish pellets/ food that is covered in fungus (Saprolegnia).
Reduce the amount of food you put in the tank and do a big water change (75-80%) and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Try to suck the uneaten food out when doing the water change.

-----------------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Livebearers (guppies, platie, swordtails, mollies) come from hard water with a GH above 200ppm (250ppm for mollies) and a pH above 7.0.
Frogs are normally found in soft water with a GH below 100ppm.

If your water is too soft (doesn't have enough minerals in), the live bearers will suffer.
If the water is too hard (has lots of minerals in), the frog won't do as well.

-----------------------------
Frogs should also be kept in a single species tank because they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, including fish, snails and shrimp. In addition to that, if the fish get sick and need treating, the medication used to treat the fish will usually kill the frog.

I agree with Colin_T. That’s rotting fish food.

I agree with Colin_T. That’s rotting fish food.
I was thinking that, as I used to have this problem with my other tanks. I was thinking it was either that, or some weird looking Cory cats eggs. I didn’t know for sure, so I didn’t say, lol. :)

Definitely rotten fish food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back