Is this play sand good?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The brand is what I have, and i got mine from Home Depot. I gather Lowe's also carry it, or did anyway. There are two colour tones, one is buff like beach sand, the other that I have is dark grey. From previous research I gather you can fine either but not both in this or that store/location. But as far as the sand goes, whichever, it is safe. I discussed the processing with Quikrete a few years back when making my decision.

The brand is what I have, and i got mine from Home Depot. I gather Lowe's also carry it, or did anyway. There are two colour tones, one is buff like beach sand, the other that I have is dark grey. From previous research I gather you can fine either but not both in this or that store/location. But as far as the sand goes, whichever, it is safe. I discussed the processing with Quikrete a few years back when making my decision.
Ok thank you, could you post a picture of the dark grey sand in one of your tank to give me an idea of how it looks?

Not related to the subject but one of the local fish store near me has corydoras elegant and I really like the apperance of this fish... I see on some sites that the temperature range is in between 20-25 and on others 20-26 like on seriously fish and I know often it's better that the tank temperature is in between this range. Do you think corydoras elegant would be ok in 25°c? @Byron

Ok thank you, could you post a picture of the dark grey sand in one of your tank to give me an idea of how it looks?

When dry, and even when wet after being rinsed, it is very dark grey. But in my tanks under 6500K lighting it appears much lighter. Probably a combination of the water and light. I noticed this when I had a black gravel once, it was more grey than black in the tank. Photos are about the closest I can get to what it actually looks like. I really like this sand, more than the buff, but as i said it too is safe if it is Quikrete Play Sand.

First photo is the 10g with just the natural daylight from the window, and the sand looks the actual colour here. Second photo I just took of my bucket of spare dry sand, but the colour is not true, my phone I guess. Anyway, it is as close as I can get.

Attachments

• 10g July 1-10.JPG
    10g July 1-10.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Quikrete grey Play Sand in bucket dry.jpg
    Quikrete grey Play Sand in bucket dry.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 171
Not related to the subject but one of the local fish store near me has corydoras elegant and I really like the apperance of this fish... I see on some sites that the temperature range is in between 20-25 and on others 20-26 like on seriously fish and I know often it's better that the tank temperature is in between this range. Do you think corydoras elegant would be ok in 25°c? @Byron

Yes. Corydoras elegans is just like all the other "medium" sized species, it does well in the 24-25C/75-77F temperature, and a degree either side is fine.

When dry, and even when wet after being rinsed, it is very dark grey. But in my tanks under 6500K lighting it appears much lighter. Probably a combination of the water and light. I noticed this when I had a black gravel once, it was more grey than black in the tank. Photos are about the closest I can get to what it actually looks like. I really like this sand, more than the buff, but as i said it too is safe if it is Quikrete Play Sand.

First photo is the 10g with just the natural daylight from the window, and the sand looks the actual colour here. Second photo I just took of my bucket of spare dry sand, but the colour is not true, my phone I guess. Anyway, it is as close as I can get.
It looks almost the same as the picture on the website, I like the color thank you!

Yes. Corydoras elegans is just like all the other "medium" sized species, it does well in the 24-25C/75-77F temperature, and a degree either side is fine.
Ok thanks, that's perfect! I might ask if they can get them later this year :)

By looking at your pictures of the play sand I am starting to ask myself if it's really that much less sharp than the caribsea peace river gravel. Maybe it's just the pictures? I looked for accurate pictures on internet for the caribsea peace river gravel and this is how it looks:
media__24424.1540835067.jpg
f7deca6d984fa6c522b232c32a11652e.jpg

Is it too sharp for the corys? I won't hesitate to change it if the awnser is yes

By looking at your pictures of the play sand I am starting to ask myself if it's really that much less sharp than the caribsea peace river gravel. Maybe it's just the pictures? I looked for accurate pictures on internet for the caribsea peace river gravel and this is how it looks:View attachment 108943View attachment 108944
Is it too sharp for the corys?
That looks to sharp to me. You want to go super fine for corys.

By looking at your pictures of the play sand I am starting to ask myself if it's really that much less sharp than the caribsea peace river gravel. Maybe it's just the pictures? I looked for accurate pictures on internet for the caribsea peace river gravel and this is how it looks:View attachment 108943View attachment 108944
Is it too sharp for the corys? I won't hesitate to change it if the awnser is yes

This is no good for cories.

That is what my old sand looked like... (That sand is much more pale than the sand you see in the image below. )

Its very weird, because I can't find the type of sand I use online anywhere. I bought mine at Lowes, although it's still the Quikrete brand.

This is what it looks like in a 29g tank:
View attachment 108945
Ok so the sand on the link to home depot is not the dark grey one? I don't mind either way..

It looks almost the same as the picture on the website, I like the color thank you!

Just took another look at the photos here, they are off colour. The sand is much more dark grey than the brown tone. I'm hopeless with electronic gadgetry.

The colour in the photo of the aquarium in the window is very close to reality, much moreso than the bucket.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back