Is This Normal?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

~heidi~

Reaction score
I just noticed my approximately 7 week old blue platy looks "crooked". Is this normal? It's not acting strange. I am just wondering if this is something I need to be concerned about.
Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 48
It isn't 'normal' but can happen from time to time. Out of several batches of fry I Got 3 defective like yours. The first is still alive the seconds back got more indented and eventually got stuck on filter...I saved her but she disappeared days later, a recent fry was kinked bending its side not its back and I'm pretty sure she got eaten when I let the babies into the young adult tank.

These fish are quite inbred to acheive coloring. Also, having a large batch may increase this chance. Water perameters should also be checked as a cause can be from poor water quality.

My water stats have been great. And yet I've still produced 3 kinked fry. All of which one is alive. Males won't pay attention to it if its a female and it really shouldn't be picked on by other males if its a male. My one surviving one is a male and the other males pay him no mind.

This can often happen as a result of malnutrition. It's not that what you are feeding isn't right, or enough, but rather that the particular fry isn't able to compete well enough with its siblings to get enough. Of course it can also happen as a birth defect but it's my opinion nutrition is a factor most of the time. Especially when it shows up later like yours.

Most reactions

trending

Back