Is this normal when cycling?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Actually @TwoTankAmin ignore some of what I said above, I don't want to keep re-editing the same post. Just about to buy some Dr Tim's online - won't arrive until middle of next week but at least I can know how much ammonia I am adding now. Until then I will leave well alone!

Thereā€™s nothing actually wrong with using fish food as an ammonia source. It just takes longer. It promotes heterotrophic bacteria and (harmless) fungi that break down solids, but once youā€™re cycled and the ammonia is coming mostly from the fish, the numbers of heterotrophic bacteria will fall back.

Itā€™s a bacterial bloom, because youā€™re using flakes as the ammonia source. Fish food is broken down into ammonia by Heterotrophic bacteria, which is why the cycle takes longer. But it takes a lotā€¦ a million of them to do the work of 1 (one) single Nitrosomonas bacterium. So thatā€™s what the bloom is. They double their numbers every day. Do a water change or just leave it. Now that you have ammonia the nitrosomonas will start to grow and out-compete the heterotrophics, and the bloom will die off.
Sometime people mistake it for a overdose of CO2. It's a job for the clean-up crew! Cawa bunga!

Most reactions

Back