Is this normal or is it signs of parasites/internal diseases!??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oliviasdad

Reaction score
So I have two black angel fish and one just suddenly died. Was swimming around fine before hand and seemed happy, woke up in the morning and he was dead behind some plants but it looked like he may have got himself stuck there...so I then notice one of my Rams behaviour start to change, keeps hiding in plants but seems to have a white thick poop just hanging from him. My remaining angel fish has since had very stringy white poop just trailing from him and its getting more constant. I've attached a picture of the angel with the stringy poop and would like to know if thats normal and if not then what is it and what can I treat my tank with.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-220644_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-220644_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 49
So I have two black angel fish and one just suddenly died. Was swimming around fine before hand and seemed happy, woke up in the morning and he was dead behind some plants but it looked like he may have got himself stuck there...so I then notice one of my Rams behaviour start to change, keeps hiding in plants but seems to have a white thick poop just hanging from him. My remaining angel fish has since had very stringy white poop just trailing from him and its getting more constant. I've attached a picture of the angel with the stringy poop and would like to know if thats normal and if not then what is it and what can I treat my tank with.
not normal, probably worms, not sure if prazipro is in the uk but anything with praziquantel works..snails and inverts dont like it, please remove them when treatning

If the remaining fish have been pecking at the dead fish I think this is most probably a bacterial infection. Are there any symptoms of pop-eye at all?

If the remaining fish have been pecking at the dead fish I think this is most probably a bacterial infection. Are there any symptoms of pop-eye at all?
You should prepare for diseases, as some diseases are caused by direct contact of dead fishies

When I saw him he had managed to get himself wedged in between a plant at the side of the tank, so no other fish were near him. He was intact when I took him out and no not any symptoms of pop eye.

When I saw him he had managed to get himself wedged in between a plant at the side of the tank, so no other fish were near him. He was intact when I took him out and no not any symptoms of pop eye.
Sorry, I meant do the remaining fish have pop eye?

The black angelfish in the picture has excess mucous on its body and pectoral fin. This is the cream/ white film over the fish.

Fish naturally have a thin layer of clear mucous over their body to protect them from poor water quality, external parasites and disease organisms, and to help them move through the water easier. When they are stressed out by something, they produce more mucous and it can appear as a cream or white film over part or all of the body and fins.

Poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) is the most common cause of excess mucous.

--------------------
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

If there is no improvement after a few water changes, post the water test results here and add some more pictures of all the fish.

--------------------
Don't worry about the white poop at this stage. It's probably internal worms but the excess mucous is a bigger issue and will kill fish much faster than worms do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back