The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello,

It's been many years since I had my one and only encounter with Ich. I think I've got an outbreak but would like to confirm before starting treatment.

I noticed my severum was clamping his fins. There are white patches on them, but some are not the 'tiny' ones you associate with Ich. He is also rubbing the fins by rolling them into tight 'tubes'. The dorsal fin appears to have 'classic' ich, but the pectoral fin seems to have larger and slightly fluffy white patches. I've had a close look at the other tank inhabitants and MAYBE can see white specs on the Rummynose - can't see any on the other fish (BN's, corys, angels).

I introduced a new cichlid (Elliotti) 2 weeks ago, so I'm thinking the Ich might have come in with that (although the Elliotti has no symptoms.

What do you think? Ich or something else.....

hmm difficult ... they also resemble the same white 'spot' marks I see on the fins of my angels when they've been knocking each other around again.

Have you seen any spots on any of the other fish?

You could try turning up the heat and see if that brings it out more I guess ... saves adding chemicals when your not really certain

Akasha72 said:

Have you seen any spots on any of the other fish?

as said above, I can see some white spots on the Rummynose - but I never look at them this closely (may be new spots, may have always been there). Nothing else on the other species.

I'd be tempted to give it a day or so and see what develops. Normally white spot is really obvious but these 'spots' don't look that obvious. I have had whitespot develop through stress aswell as by shared infection many years ago - I had one fish that was bullied badly and it ended up with a bad case of whitespot even though I'd not added any new fish. It is possible that the elliotti hasn't brought anything in

An obvious question but have you checked to see if anything is off with the water? 
don't know if this helps at all but here's a photo I've just taken of my male angels tail fin ... you can see the white spots

003_zpsz5u2nx58.jpg

He's got the same white spots on his side fins too and some on his dorsal. I've always thought it was because of the female but I'm wondering if this is just a cichlid thing

i doubt that this has been caused b y any stress - the severum is the dominant force in the tank. When the Elliotti was introduced the sev harassed it for 2 weeks bu has now give up.

Do your angels clamp or show any signs of irritation with the affected fins?

ZoddyZod said:

Do your angels clamp or show any signs of irritation with the affected fins?

Sometimes ... generally the male cos my female is the dominant one. He gets fed up with her nipping him and he takes himself off into the plants to chill. I have seen him clamping his fins when he's getting fed up with her, it doesn't last long though ... couple of seconds or so

How's the Sev looking today?

I expect this to be another parasite than Ich. Trichodina, Ichthyobodo (quite common) or even Chilodonella.
I'd treat with an anti Ich med (those also cures a lot of other Ich-like patasites).

Regards Aad

I got some Ich treatment and have ramped up the temperature to 29c. That worked for me 6yrs ago when I last had it.

The severum is definitely itching

definitely whitespot then. Hope the treatment works. I swear by the Waterlife one myself

DoubleDutch said:
I wouldn't use both treatments at the same time.

I don't intend to. Picked up the API treatment as that was all they had.

DoubleDutch said:

I meand heath- and medtreatment !

increasing the heat speeds up the life-cycle of the parasite. The parasite can only be killed off by the treatment when it is in the water rather than when on the host. By speeding up the life cycle you increase the effectiveness of the treatment over the 4-5 day treatment time.

ZoddyZod said:

I meand heath- and medtreatment !

increasing the heat speeds up the life-cycle of the parasite. The parasite can only be killed off by the treatment when it is in the water rather than when on the host. By speeding up the life cycle you increase the effectiveness of the treatment over the 4-5 day treatment time.

I know but it was you asking yourself if it (all) was Ich in one of the earlier posts.
Larger whitish fluffy spots aren't Ich.
Other parasites, fungus and bacteria will love you for raising the temps ant thrive.

Besides of that one should treat with a slight raise of temp or only heath-treat without meds if it is 100% Ich.

Meds, raising the temps and Ich-parasites itself (if it is Ich) at the same time could cause oxygen / breathing issues. So at least take care for extra oxygenation.

Regards Aad

Hi. I might have read the Thread too fast, but did you mention you had s Quarantine Tank for the new addition(s)?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back