is this dropsy?

piscean

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i posted on 2/4 asking help for my platy... i didn't get back on in time to see if anyone posted to reply anything :/ it's a little too late for my platy tho cos she passed on last night :byebye: i just heard 2 faint bangs against my tank and found her lying lifeless upside down on the gravel. i still really don't know what she came down with... but apparently it was fatal. the only visible signs were 1) scales sticking out 2) eye popping out 3) internal bleeding under the scales... all on the same side. she looked perfectly healthy on the other. i noticed #1 & #2 symptoms 2 days ago and #3 a couple hours before she passed. i treated my tank with maracyn2 last night but it must've been too late. i don't have a hospital tank so i hope it didn't affect my other platy and fry.

so my questions now are --
1) was this dropsy?
2) is it contagious?
3) should i continue using my 5-day maracyn2 treatment just in case?

please help :unsure:

yes it does sound like dropsy, but from what i know it only effects one fish and is not contaguoes, but i am not 100% sure on that so maybe someone else can help. i also dont think there is any cure for it, so (if that is true) the meds wont do any good anyway.

It sounds like dropsy except that only one side was affected. I've never seen that before. All the dropsy I've seen had scales on both sides sticking out, but still, it is possible. I was thinking a tumor maybe? But then everything I've read about tumors say the scales continue to lay flat. So now I'm wondering if it was a bacterial infection. That would be my best guess, but only a guess. I'd check all the water params, check the filter(s) for rotting organic debris, and continue the treatment that was started doing water changes as allowed in the instructions for the Maracyn2.
Best of luck.

What's the water condition like? Pop eye can be caused by a number of factors but from what you described, I think it's internal bacteria.

I haven't used maracyn before, but I seem to remember it'll kill off beneficial bacteria?! So if you decided to continue the treatment, monitor the water parameter carefully. :flowers:

thanks everyone for replying! all very helpful and informative :D i've attached a link of some pics of KABLOOEY :rip: (side, front, back view) so you have a visual of what i'm trying explain. i've also done some research thru the web but found nothing except the same you all are suggesting. so i'm at a cross between dropsy / internal bacteria / and maybe even tb (which i certainly hope not!) my h2o parameters are ok and most importantly my other platy and fry are still doing well :wub:

KABLOOEY

thats really strange. it doesnt really look like dropsy, because it is only in one general section, but im not really sure what else it could be :/

snowrat2004 said:
thats really strange. it doesnt really look like dropsy, because it is only in one general section, but im not really sure what else it could be :/
tell me about it! it's given me such a biiig headache searching google for answers :S :S and i honestly still haven't found an exact diagnosis. i just hope whatever she had wasn't contagious! but thanks for your help ^_^

Fish can have more than one parasite at a time, leading to confusing results.
Keep the marycyn treatment going, even though dropsy can't spread, popeye can, so be careful.

FrankSlapperinni said:
Fish can have more than one parasite at a time, leading to confusing results.
Keep the marycyn treatment going, even though dropsy can't spread, popeye can, so be careful.
thanks for the tip! i considered it being just that -- a bunch of different diseases :unsure: it's just unfortunate i didn't catch it in time. i am keeping up with the maracyn2 so hopefully that helps MR FISHY and GRIMACE from catching anything bad ^_^

*sorry about late reply* I started yr 12 mad rush for assasignments first week *sigh* anyway after skimming through this I believe it was dropsy and pop-eye all caused from not to good water conditions. Now...dropsy and pop-eye are both internal which means it was completely internal trouble...you can follow my link to diseases if you like ;)

Kossy said:
*sorry about late reply* I started yr 12 mad rush for assasignments first week *sigh* anyway after skimming through this I believe it was dropsy and pop-eye all caused from not to good water conditions. Now...dropsy and pop-eye are both internal which means it was completely internal trouble...you can follow my link to diseases if you like ;)
not a prob with the late reply ;) i got some outside opinions as well as from here and bacterial infections were all everybody could really suggest... asides from dropsy. so thanks! you guys are great help!

ps good luck with school :flowers:

Most reactions

Back