Is this any use

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I am part of a south African forum and a member posted this compatibility chart. As far as I can see it is pretty good in general (i do understand if I shouldn't have posted this and it is removed. I will also specify the member and forum if required)
8df40becfbedaa8a5982d824a08a5491.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

IMO that chart is useless,

Live Bearers and Tetras for example need vastly different water conditions, one prefers soft water while the other needs hard water.

Plecos and plants not compatible? Well it depends on the type of pleco, I have no probs with my BN's and plants.

Bettas and Loaches? Clown loaches NO, Kuhli Loaches YES.

I went through a couple of the groups, and found several "green" that I do not agree with. I realize it is only "general," but some of them are not at all advisable.

Fair enough and I figured that there were going to be errors like this as well as different water parameters.

If I am correct barbs and angels are a big no no. And yet it is something given here.

But can we collectively make a table like this and have it as a tool on the forum. Where one plugs in there water conditions and tank size and then they are given all the possible combinations of fish. Or something like that. I realize there is a need for something like this as there are forever questions being asked about stocking.

I tend to think questions about stocking are some of the most important, and I do not mind answering them. The problem with any chart or stocking advisor (this was asked about the other day on here) is that it is next to impossible to program in all the factors, not to mention the variables. Considering just water parameters, there are tetras that must have very soft water, there are tetras that need soft water, there are tetras than are fine in moderately hard water. So right off we have an impossible set of factors to program in to the chart with just "tetras" being considered.

I get your point but one of my subjects is programming and we write all kinds of database programs and it's not that difficult. There is just in this case a wack lot of data.

Also one would make a relational type database with each fishes info being stored in the respective places and the whole thing is simply linked using the primary keys.

I get your point but one of my subjects is programming and we write all kinds of database programs and it's not that difficult. There is just in this case a wack lot of data.

Agree, but I would wonder how you could program in so many variables? I don't think it could be done, as you would really come down to having to include every known species of tropical fish individually.

Example, again using "tetras.' There are many species that are not at all compatible with any barbs, or danios. But there are other species that are compatible. There are some tetra species that are not compatible with angelfish, but some others that are. Aside from this, we then have to factor in filtration/water flow, which can vary among species within a category, and could even be variable within some species. When you have as a single category "tetra," you cannot possibly have it this complex, or perhaps I should say that a programmer would have to build into the chart the complexity and then the chart as it appears here is useless because you need so many sub-categories under "tetra." And this would apply to most other general categories as well.

@Byron
If you really want to, it can be done, only needs a lot of knowledge and work ;)

@OP or the mods: Please remove the original graphic. Otherwise many beginners will take it for true.

Please remove the original graphic. Otherwise many beginners will take it for true.

Without the original graphic this whole topic would be pointless, we are after all discussing how accurate it is. How can people who reply after this post and have not seen the image give a opinion on its accuracy?

I'd say want you want to do...most people can do themselves if they just research the fish they want. Or come here and be directed to proper sources or just talk with experienced fishkeepers! Makes all the difference sometimes.

Hmmmm. I see the issue here. But none the Me a it would still be nice.

I agree 100% with Byron.

Stocking is much better considered on an individual basis, as there are just so many variables involved. And the clumping together of families like 'tetras' and 'barbs' is far too general. For instance the piranha is a tetra :/

Tables like this can have a use, in some circumstances; I used to have one showing the risk of hybridising in shrimp species, which was quite handy, but I really don't think stocking, as a whole, is one of them.

But I can see why the idea would be very tempting to a programmer, and I'm sure you'd do a good job on one, if it were at all possible :)

I am very tempted to give it a go. In the next following week's I'm going to have a boat load of time (if I'm not rebuilding my cars engine) as I finish school on Friday and I am very keen at the moment. But I can't have any guarantees. And I'm going to need a lot of help from you guys.

As i am not nearly as familiar with the details of each species as some of you. Yeah sure I know the basics but havens there is a LOT of knowledge needed here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back