Is this algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
There is a thin brown layer of something all over my rocks, decor, and even on my plants. Seemed to have happened over night. Is it algae? Time to get snails?

Attachments

• 1CA890E6-9AEF-4902-858B-BAB9BE6BEAFD.jpeg
    1CA890E6-9AEF-4902-858B-BAB9BE6BEAFD.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 113
how long do you have the lights switched on for?

Brown algae is oftem most present in " new tanks" as far as algae goes its one of the easier algaes to manage as its easily removed manually or easily removed by fish or snails. Ive had 1 nerite snail clean a whole tank covered in brown algae over night.
Dim light also contributes to brown algae. From the looks if your pick it looks to be a bowl or vase which i assume gets light from a window or over head light. Both light sources will grow algae.

Brown algae is oftem most present in " new tanks" as far as algae goes its one of the easier algaes to manage as its easily removed manually or easily removed by fish or snails. Ive had 1 nerite snail clean a whole tank covered in brown algae over night.
Dim light also contributes to brown algae. From the looks if your pick it looks to be a bowl or vase which i assume gets light from a window or over head light. Both light sources will grow algae.
It’s actually a 3.5 gallon with a filter and an LED light. However the light is dim so. I added a snail in there yesterday so we’ll see how he does haha

Most reactions

trending

Back