Is This A Good Deal?:

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I wouldn't pay the buy it now price for it, the lid as the seller says is damaged & it looks tatty, he also says it needs a good clean but shows no pics of it emptied, it could be in a bad state.
I'd want to see it before handing any money over, you could even do a deal if you went over to view it.

The tank is Fluval but the stand looks like a Juwel, if you care about that sort of thing.  They should be the same size though so it shouldn't matter.

I'd pay £50-£60 for that personally.  Looks to be in decent condition to me, just needs cleaning as he says.

thanks for the replies!! But im 99% sure that I will NOT be purchasing this. I am pretty sure that I will be buying new tanks... I'd rather buy it new and be sure it's 100% safe for purpose than be unsure... So yeah, thanks guys

I'm a believer in second hand tanks, as long as you're careful to read the description properly and be prepared to replace some of the equipment if necessary.

My first tank was bought brand new and I don't regret that because it was a good gentle introduction to the world of fishes and all its paraphernalia complete with instruction manuals and no need for cleaning or wondering whether the filter is worn out or if it's really supposed to be running that slow...!  However once I'd learned the ropes my next three tanks have all been bought second-hand, all for about a third of the RRP or less.  All of them came with dodgy equipment but I don't mind purchasing new equipment so that I can kit the tanks out exactly how I want.  The tanks and stands have all been in good condition and that's the important thing is that the tanks and stands have all been fine, no deep scratches, no water damage, obviously no leaks or cracks and any light fittings should be in good order with no rust.

I probably would not buy that particular tank though.  I'd be looking out for a new-style Fluval Roma with the Fluval cabinet, but that's just my preference.

daizeUK said:
I'm a believer in second hand tanks, as long as you're careful to read the description properly and be prepared to replace some of the equipment if necessary.

My first tank was bought brand new and I don't regret that because it was a good gentle introduction to the world of fishes and all its paraphernalia complete with instruction manuals and no need for cleaning or wondering whether the filter is worn out or if it's really supposed to be running that slow...!  However once I'd learned the ropes my next three tanks have all been bought second-hand, all for about a third of the RRP or less.  All of them came with dodgy equipment but I don't mind purchasing new equipment so that I can kit the tanks out exactly how I want.  The tanks and stands have all been in good condition and that's the important thing is that the tanks and stands have all been fine, no deep scratches, no water damage, obviously no leaks or cracks and any light fittings should be in good order with no rust.

I probably would not buy that particular tank though.  I'd be looking out for a new-style Fluval Roma with the Fluval cabinet, but that's just my preference.
+1 on this. Second hand tanks can be value for money, and as long as you check for scratches, chips, cracks etc... They can last just as long as a brand new one.

Absolutely agreed with daizeuk and malfunction's comments.

I bout my first tank, brand new and with full set up etc, it was a good learning platform for me.

Now, I buy pretty have much bought all my other tanks and equipments second hand, its having that confidence knowing what to look and what to check closely for. Deep scratches, cracked, seals, fitting of tank brace and the stand condition as well, checking for soft wood floor or legs where may have been wet and showing sign or rot, all that sort of thing.

As for tank equipment inside like lights and filters etc, well thats pretty much hit or miss, and i do buy some of that new from online usually or in LFS if prices are decent. The main thing is the tank condition itself is priority.

But like have said, its down to confidence and your preference of what you feel most comfortable with, buying new or second hand.
There is no right or wrong answer really.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back