Is This 3d Internal Background Safe?

Joshy

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Colchester Essex
The juwel and back to nature 3D backgrounds are just too expensive.
Then someone recommended using one of the Exo Terra backgrounds.
They are for terrariums, but he said what would be safe for them, will be safe for an aquarium.

What do you lot think?

http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=614

Fast replies appreciated, was going to go out and buy one today.

Thanks =]
 
says made from black non-toxic polystyrene...... Polystyrene is a plastic so it would be toxic if eaten!! Wouldnt leach anything into the water tho. Not sure about the paint/coating on it tho.

You would have to worry more about how you fix it to the aquarium wall. Id use a fish safe silicone.

Buy it, soak for a few days it to flush off any soluble chemicals in the paint, and then bung it in. Sounds ok to me.
 
Thank you for the reply saz.

Just got a complete bargain, the bloke in the shop happened to have one with a damaged corner, so he gave it to me for £2. But my tank is so small I don’t even need half of it anyway =P

I wont be using it for another 2 weeks, but I’ll go by your advice. Soak it for a few days and then use aquarium silicon to attack it to the back. It is only being used in a lone betta’s tank.

Any ideas on possibly being able to coat the whole thing in something? Anybody?
 
Well, you won't want to do this, but thought I'd mention anyway in case it triggers something better.
I've had a problem with some of my slate rusting, and have coated entire pieces in aquarium glue, to prevent the iron from leaching into the water column and to prevent the rust from spreading further.
For what it's worth...
Edit: of course, there I was assuming it was toxins worrying you.
You're probably looking for cool textured background stuff?
 
Thanks for the idea Syphoniera, I might just consider it. Oh no im not interested in any cool textures when I was talking about coating the whole thing. Just wanting to make sure its completely safe. The thing has great texture as it is =]
 

Most reactions

Back
Top