Is there something wrong with my platy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is sally. Is there something wrong with her? Sheā€™s always been kind of round but i just want to make sure there isnā€™t something up.

Sorry about some photo bombs, my mollies like attention lol.
I know her tail is messed up, she jumped out of the tank awhile back ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 67
Hello. Iā€™ll be totally honest I have no idea. I do have 2X female platys one is the same as yours the other is blue/orange. Both fat round things and always have been. I never thought anything was wrong. There used to be a male with them and I thought they was pregnant but they have not changed since the male left.

Hello. Iā€™ll be totally honest I have no idea. I do have 2X female platys one is the same as yours the other is blue/orange. Both fat round things and always have been. I never thought anything was wrong. There used to be a male with them and I thought they was pregnant but they have not changed since the male left.
Do yours just chill? Like she sits in the middle-top of the water and just chills there. Do your's do that? That is what made me worried because she is usually pretty active. I was thinking she might just be resting. I have one male platy in there as well and he likes to swim around her so maybe she is pregnant again? Or maybe she is just fat?

When I had the male with them, the 2 females would hide at spawning time.

1 Male 1 female could also induce stress to the female. I was told with live spawning fish you should keep a ratio 2F to 1M to help reduce stress on the female.

Yes both mine atm hide/stay behind decorations, I have 1X male guppy (2 females died a while ago and tank is fully stocked) he seems to chase them around quite a bit so I think thatā€™s why mine hide.

When I had the male with them, the 2 females would hide at spawning time.

1 Male 1 female could also induce stress to the female. I was told with live spawning fish you should keep a ratio 2F to 1M to help reduce stress on the female.

Yes both mine atm hide/stay behind decorations, I have 1X male guppy (2 females died a while ago and tank is fully stocked) he seems to chase them around quite a bit so I think thatā€™s why mine hide.
Oh I know about the ratio (I have mollies lol). I am thinking about grabbing one more platy! I keep up with water changes and tank health really well so I have gotten permission to have a good amount of fish in my 11.2g.

The male is pretty young still, he hasn't even really reached an inch just yet so I wasn't too worried about it yet. I might go back to the store and get another platy tomorrow!

BUt yeah, she just is chilling in the middle of the water, not on the rocks just swimming calmly in the middle.

she might just be totally chilled about everything then. If it fits I would go get another if you can.
I couldnā€™t deal with the fry. I thought it would overloaded the tank way to quick. (That was when I first started with the hobby to be fair). Will be interested to see if anyone else has an idea. Might help mine too.

she might just be totally chilled about everything then. If it fits I would go get another if you can.
I couldnā€™t deal with the fry. I thought it would overloaded the tank way to quick. (That was when I first started with the hobby to be fair). Will be interested to see if anyone else has an idea. Might help mine too.
Yeah I think she is just relaxing.

About your tank... what size is it? If you have good filter capacity and know how to keep up with water changes, you can add a few extra fish to your "normal" capacity. Everyone's opinion is different with stocking levels so I use this!

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

This will help a ton! Currently, I am not overstocked but if I added another platy I would be. But if I also added more filter capacity, it wouldn't be a problem. If your fish look like they have enough space and places to relax and your tank is kept clean and balanced, then it isn't overstocked.

Your baby fry can also be taken to the pet store, they will take them once they are grown (around 6 months old). You can keep the ones you like or just give them all away!

Ye I never checked a website for stocking. I just sort of looked and guessed. I asked on here the other day and someone said it was full. Just some soft and hard water mixed I needed to sort out.

I have a fluval flex planted 57ltr 12 gal. Filter is the back section. I change 20 litres every 7-9 days depending if Iā€™m busy. Water levels are 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20-40 nitrate. Stocking is 3 danio, 1M guppy, 2XF platy, 1 dwarf gourami, 5 ammarno shrimp and 1 angel. Moving house when Iā€™ve moved Iā€™m getting a larger tank for angel. Its still quite small (I think).

angel will eat fry so no fry is best atm. At first before I got the angel I would fish them out, put them in there own 10 ltr tank and like you said take them to the shop.

Oh, I think just because of your angelfish it might be overstocked. Without the angelfish, you could still fit some fish in that tank. I would add an extra filter if you really wanted more fish in the future. Is it a carbon filter? If so add a sponge filter in front of it in your filter! I plan on doing that soon, to filter out even more of the nasty.

She looks pregnant. You can tell by the silvery sheen on her belly.

Oh, I think just because of your angelfish it might be overstocked. Without the angelfish, you could still fit some fish in that tank. I would add an extra filter if you really wanted more fish in the future. Is it a carbon filter? If so add a sponge filter in front of it in your filter! I plan on doing that soon, to filter out even more of the nasty.
Ye angel makes it hard to add more. That takes up a ton of space. Filter is sponge with ceramic rings and activated carbon.

Hope it is just pregnant. No one likes poorly fish. ?

She looks pregnant. You can tell by the silvery sheen on her belly.
I was thinking this. I thought against it because she has been alone for months (without a male) and has always had this silvery sheen on her belly. She just recently was joined by a small bumblebee platy and then she started to get a bit rounder the last few days. Could she seriously be pregnant? She has already had babies too, the sheen might be from that!

Ye angel makes it hard to add more. That takes up a ton of space. Filter is sponge with ceramic rings and activated carbon.

Hope it is just pregnant. No one likes poorly fish. ?
Okay so adding extra media also helps! I am planning on adding a sponge media alongside my carbon filter media from top fin. I was thinking about this because it I added another platy I would technically be overstocked (Iā€™m not overstocked right now). But then again, if you take great care of your water changes weekly (i recommend a gravel vacuum as well) then you can go a little over your stocking level. Maybe even two or three fish over your stocking level! Adding plants and houses helps with stocking because it gives the fish extra space to hide if they get stressed or tired. I have three houses and only use two at a time, if I notice bullying over extended time, i add the big house with a door for the girls to go inside.

Itā€™s all opinion really. If you think you can add more fish and take care of their water quality, then go for it! Fish keeping is a trial and error kind of thing to be honest. I have stopped worrying about stocking because I am confident in how I take care of my water quality!

You say she has had babies, she probably will give birth to more. Platy's can store sperm and give birth on a monthly basis so if anyone is bothering her in the tank. you may want to move her to another one to reduce her stress.

You say she has had babies, she probably will give birth to more. Platy's can store sperm and give birth on a monthly basis so if anyone is bothering her in the tank. you may want to move her to another one to reduce her stress.
Okay, yes she has had babies before but it was several months ago. Can females store sperm too? And she hasn't been bullied too much, I had an attitude problem with one of my mollies but that has been fixed.

Most reactions

Back