Is there something wrong with my betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I think KiwiGal77 is on the ball with this. The filter hasn't developed and the fish is probably suffering from ammonia poisoning.

Do a big daily water change for a month and see how it goes.

If there's no improvement after a few days of water changes, let us know.

Don't touch the pH. Bettas come from acid water so leave it alone.

Heā€™s been in this tank about a week- when brought home middle of July he was temporarily in a one and a half gallon tank with conditioned water. Moved him over to the 5 gallon tank about a week to a week and a half ago. I used prime conditioner before putting him in but did not cycle the tank. Tank cleaning is weekly taking about 25% of water.
Replacing with conditioned water. (Prime)
Also vacuuming out any uneaten foodā€¦ The tank is an aqueon minibow 5 gallon w/smart clean technology-power filtration.
I have ordered a master test kit for freshwater fish and awaiting shipment. In the meantime Iā€™ve taken water samples up to Petco and they said everything looks good except maybe a small bit on the acidic side which I was directed to put a pinch of baking soda in the tank.
As far as the food I have been feeding him, the beta pellets he seems sort of interested but then spits them back out. He was not doing this before. He was actually eating. I also tried the beta worms but he doesnā€™t touch those. Tried flakes too. Checks them out then swims awayā€¦
he looks like he may be stressed.
like COlin T said, don't add baking sodda, that could stress the fish out, and also bettas like acidic

I think KiwiGal77 is on the ball with this. The filter hasn't developed and the fish is probably suffering from ammonia poisoning.

Thank you! I will do this!

O

im so glad I found this forum. So much more helpful than pet stores! Thank you!

Thank you! Youā€™ve been a great help!

You're welcome :) And yep, definitely wouldn't be getting any more fish advice from general pet stores - but this forum seems like a wealth of knowledge to use and learn from.

Good luck with the betta, hopefully doing these water changes and getting the beneficial bacteria in there he will pull through. Keep us posted on his progress!

I thought about life floating plants. Any recommendations for those? Do plants need to be quarantined before adding to the tank?

No, but an alum dip or hydrogen peroxide mixture will get rid of any hitch hikers on the plants before you add them to the tank. Floating plant recommendations: elodea is very hearty or if you want true surface floaters you could try some amazon frogbit or mini water lettuce.

Welcome to TFF

Agree with most of the advice you've been given already; you are most likely in the midst of a fish-in cycle...see the section on fish-in cycling here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

I wouldn't add anything to the tank but fresh water & the Prime; no need for "bio balls", or anything else...the bacteria you are trying to grow exists in the environment, free of charge

Good luck with the cycle

So Iā€™ve been doing 50% water changes daily with the prime. I also picked up a bottle of tetra safe start- poured about an ounce into his water last night after the change. Should I continue with the safe start? Was thinking I needed to add some more as I did another partial water change tonightā€¦
Interested in food but still not eating any of itā€¦ Any other ideas are welcome! Ty

he looks like he may be stressed.
like COlin T said, don't add baking sodda, that could stress the fish out, and also bettas like acidic
Someone at the pet store recommended stress coat plus. I am very leery on taking recommendations from any of the pet stores. Have you ever use this and is it safe to use? Or is it even recommended without knowing what the problem is? Iā€™ve been doing water changes 50% nightly and got a bottle of the tetra safe start plus for cycling aquariums. Your opinion is welcome! Thx

So Iā€™ve been doing 50% water changes daily with the prime. I also picked up a bottle of tetra safe start- poured about an ounce into his water last night after the change. Should I continue with the safe start? Was thinking I needed to add some more as I did another partial water change tonightā€¦
Interested in food but still not eating any of itā€¦ Any other ideas are welcome! Ty
Yep, add the SafeStart at the recommended dose any time you do a water change for a week or until the bottle is empty - so basically every day.

I wouldn't try to feed him for a couple of days. The uneaten food will add to your problems, but in 3 or so days he may be feeling better again with all the work you're doing and you could try offer him a small amount again :)

Don't use any other medication at this point.

Yep, add the SafeStart at the recommended dose any time you do a water change for a week or until the bottle is empty - so basically every day.

I wouldn't try to feed him for a couple of days. The uneaten food will add to your problems, but in 3 or so days he may be feeling better again with all the work you're doing and you could try offer him a small amount again :)

Don't use any other medication at this point.
Iā€™ll keep at it! Thanks! šŸ¤žšŸ¼

Someone at the pet store recommended stress coat plus. I am very leery on taking recommendations from any of the pet stores. Have you ever use this and is it safe to use? Or is it even recommended without knowing what the problem is? Iā€™ve been doing water changes 50% nightly and got a bottle of the tetra safe start plus for cycling aquariums. Your opinion is welcome! Thx

Stress coat is just a water conditioner with aloe vera in it, it won't treat any diseases. I wouldn't recommend using it either because the aloe vera in it isn't good for fish. It can clog up gills and promote excess slime coat production because it is an irritant. Prime is the only water conditioner you need and it is the best for fish-in cycling because it can detoxify up to 1 ppm of ammonia and nitrite combined for 24-48 hours.

Stress coat is just a water conditioner with aloe vera in it, it won't treat any diseases. I wouldn't recommend using it either because the aloe vera in it isn't good for fish. It can clog up gills and promote excess slime coat production because it is an irritant. Prime is the only water conditioner you need and it is the best for fish-in cycling because it can detoxify up to 1 ppm of ammonia and nitrite combined for 24-48 hours.
Ok good! Prime is all Iā€™ve been using besides the tetra safe start. Iā€™ve just been adding maybe about an ounce of the safe start in with my water changes for the past couple nights. Thank you.

Ok good! Prime is all Iā€™ve been using besides the tetra safe start. Iā€™ve just been adding maybe about an ounce of the safe start in with my water changes for the past couple nights. Thank you.
Again, all he needs is Prime, and fresh water...the "safe start" just adds more chemicals, and complicates matters

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back