Is there a way to induce guppy labor?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Just as the title sounds. I’m about to go away for a week and one of my ladies is holding onto her fry a little longer than anticipated. She looks ready to pop any second, but I’m really hoping she births before I leave so I can get the fry safely to a fry tank. (I’m setting up automatic feeders on all my tanks to feed them while I am away) My sister mentioned adding warmer water to the tank to induce the labor, but my research has not shown that.

Tank details:
Size: 20 gallons
Cycled: Not sure. The tank is about a couple weeks old, and I filled it half way with cycled water from my 29 gallon and the rest with clean water. I put several decorations in this tank that came directly out of the 29 gallon to help speed up the process as well as some substrate.
Filter: Aqua Clear 30 with some added lava rocks
Stock: 4 Cory catfish, 6 adult female guppies, and an unknown number of teen female guppies.
Plants: several live ones mixed with fake ones. I have floating plants at the top, not a whole lot, but some. I think there’s plenty of places to hide for the new little ones.
Temp: 78° F

Yeah I would rather die than do that 😅. Since adding a bit of warm water doesn’t seem to do it, I’ll just leave her be and hope that, if she gives birth while I’m away, there’ll still be a few babes left but even so I will prioritize the moms health. If she gives birth and none make it, it’ll be a real shame because I bred her with my loveliest male before he died. Guppies being able to store sperm might just come in handy 🤣

The only way to induce labour is to kill the female and cut her open, and then the babies usually die. Just leave her be. Put lots of plants in the tank and let nature take its course.
I am incapable of that

Yeah I would rather die than do that 😅. Since adding a bit of warm water doesn’t seem to do it, I’ll just leave her be and hope that, if she gives birth while I’m away, there’ll still be a few babes left but even so I will prioritize the moms health. If she gives birth and none make it, it’ll be a real shame because I bred her with my loveliest male before he died. Guppies being able to store sperm might just come in handbed

best solution

Just as the title sounds. I’m about to go away for a week and one of my ladies is holding onto her fry a little longer than anticipated. She looks ready to pop any second, but I’m really hoping she births before I leave so I can get the fry safely to a fry tank. (I’m setting up automatic feeders on all my tanks to feed them while I am away) My sister mentioned adding warmer water to the tank to induce the labor, but my research has not shown that.

Tank details:
Size: 20 gallons
Cycled: Not sure. The tank is about a couple weeks old, and I filled it half way with cycled water from my 29 gallon and the rest with clean water. I put several decorations in this tank that came directly out of the 29 gallon to help speed up the process as well as some substrate.
Filter: Aqua Clear 30 with some added lava rocks
Stock: 4 Cory catfish, 6 adult female guppies, and an unknown number of teen female guppies.
Plants: several live ones mixed with fake ones. I have floating plants at the top, not a whole lot, but some. I think there’s plenty of places to hide for the new little ones.
Temp: 78° F
ok so i have a few solution to this:
1. best solution: dont do anything and DONT LOOK it will make the fish nervous that big Monke(or human or whatever they call them) is looking at it.
2. if that does not work: add alot of plants or hiding places but dont force her to go there

if you want to induce labor never use breeding boxes or move or stress out the guppy!

ok so i have a few solution to this:
1. best solution: dont do anything and DONT LOOK it will make the fish nervous that big Monke(or human or whatever they call them) is looking at it.
2. if that does not work: add alot of plants or hiding places but dont force her to go there

if you want to induce labor never use breeding boxes or move or stress out the guppy!
Okay! Got it. Hooman scary so don’t watch as much. And yeah. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with breeding boxes. 100% mortality rate for the mothers and extremely drawn out labors. So I never move them from the main tank anymore and just net out the fry as I find them.

Her gravid spot is looking a slight bigger and a bit more blurry rather than well defined so I hope she’s close!

Okay! Got it. Hooman scary so don’t watch as much. And yeah. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with breeding boxes. 100% mortality rate for the mothers and extremely drawn out labors. So I never move them from the main tank anymore and just net out the fry as I find them.

Her gravid spot is looking a slight bigger and a bit more blurry rather than well defined so I hope she’s close!
she might just not be a full pregnancy yet
as long as there are hiding spots she will!

Abracadabra magic something something I implore you to give birth please 🪄 ✨

Attachments

• 0DBC98E1-7D8C-4B41-8722-32A9BF1418B9.jpeg
    0DBC98E1-7D8C-4B41-8722-32A9BF1418B9.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 82
Abracadabra magic something something I implore you to give birth please 🪄 ✨
aww i had one just like her!
she had a baby and they look alike a lot
idk why she was kinda blue before but turned full navy/black

Do a 25% water change using cold water. That will lower the tank temperature around four degrees and may induce labor.

Do a 25% water change using cold water. That will lower the tank temperature around four degrees and may induce labor.
Unfortunately already left 😅

But if for some reason she hasn’t given birth by the time I get back, I will follow this advice.

aww i had one just like her!
she had a baby and they look alike a lot
idk why she was kinda blue before but turned full navy/black
This little lady is a female Moscow (her name is Widow); and I think she might have some swimmers in her pouch from the male Moscow’s she was with in the store and the pretty other male guppy that she quarantined with. That’s why I really really wanted her to give birth where I could’ve saved as many fry as possible. Pretty parents means pretty babies.

This little lady is a female Moscow (her name is Widow); and I think she might have some swimmers in her pouch from the male Moscow’s she was with in the store and the pretty other male guppy that she quarantined with. That’s why I really really wanted her to give birth where I could’ve saved as many fry as possible. Pretty parents means pretty babies.
aww mine is a blue/black moscow dumbo
she had a lot of mosaic babies

My little lady did not drop while I was gone… unfortunately it looks like one of the ladies passed while I was away so it probably made an unhealthy water environment. Bought to do a serious water change as soon as I post this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back