Is there a way to buy fish and not support the cruel industry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FloridaChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Everyone on this site really seems to care about fish and how they need lots of space. My visit to Petsmart to pick up Squirrel food and water conditionser left me disgusted. They don't even care to take them out when they arrive. I know, all petstores do this but they usually throw the box into the back and/or the boxes aren't ripped from rough handling. Messed up my day ????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-115017_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-115017_Gallery.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20210514-115004_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-115004_Gallery.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20210514-115002_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-115002_Gallery.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210514-114957_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-114957_Gallery.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 98
They didn’t take those fish out of the bags? How do they expect to sell them if they don’t unpack them!?

Buy from local, family owned shops when possible, and/or only buy from reputable sources. Never buy fish from Glofish or other gimmick fish companies, and breed your own fish if you're able to. It won't destroy the "mainstream" fishkeeping market entirely but it'll help push it to the side and keep ethical sourcing on the rise.

My visit to Petsmart to pick up Squirrel food and water conditionser left me disgusted
I didn’t know Petsmart sells squirrel food :lol: My local pet smart is not very good, when it comes to fish, so I try not to do much shopping in their fish department, but they support our local animal shelter so they aren’t all bad of course. My local Petco has a decent fish department, so I do purchase things from there (they have better selection and prices too, on equipment).

But my LFS (it is also just a pet store) is a small, family owned business who is partnered with our vet. They source their puppies from quality breeders across the United States, same for their small animals like hedgehogs, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, and ferrets. They take good care of their fish and have their betta selection entirely sourced from breeders who don’t just breed for fins and colors, but health too. They take good care of the animals and fish and pets in their care, and while I don’t feel bad about supporting Petco or Petsmart, i actually feel GOOD about supporting my local fish/pet store.

It is really cool though, all the girls who work in the small pet/puppy department have husbands who work in the fish department. I imagine it would be really nice to get to take your lunch break together, and drive to work and back home together. All their workers are very passionate about the animals

my petsmart usually unpacks the packages and acclimates asap, it's fun watching them do the chiclids, they are always so feisty
still, supporting this one is supporting the company, but i really like this one
i have another 2 stores i like\
\

It took me decades to understand that a peaceful aquarium is the best. Keeping fish that like the same conditions trumps variety. But after that,I buy from who sells since its the nature of the hobby really.
I was just re reading an article in the NYT about fish depression..and I've noticed it myself in fish that are bored even in giant public aquaria. Large fish that never move. Just float in place.
Really, its all pets I guess. Birds that can never fly in cages stands out. Dogs on 3' chains to a post all day until master gets home.
Its up to us to be the best we can to pets.

Search for local fish-clubs/associations/societies....
Take time to think about it : precipitate things is your worst enemy in aquaria.
Always check tanks before buying.
A breeder that refuses to show his tanks is a breeder to avoid like the plague !

Most reactions

Back