Is There A Sticky On Fragging?

So I put together a quick vid for mushies. Let me know what you guys think and if you like I'll make more in the future while fragging.

EDIT: Now available in HD :)

I see there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thats a south eastern american saying for the uninitiated. I've seen it fragged with sharp scissors also. And I've seen mounting methods from like you said placing it in rock rubble and letting take hold, using the veil stuff like you would when attaching ricca to a rock and another involved a toothpick and a couple rubber bands. I was also under the impression that most corals will sting you and that was another reason for wearing gloves. Very interesting.

I've never used gloves.
Maybe others are more sensitive to the "stings" but I've never felt any kind of sting from any coral or even anemones.

There are definitely more than just one way to frag different corals and more than one way to mount them.
As an example I wouldn't ever cut a mushroom in half, I'd prefer to cut a whole mushroom or two off of a colony as I think this give the frag a better chance, but everyone has their own methods that work well for them.

I personally prefer the super glue method for all types of coral as it is quick and easy and I think its a lot less stress on the coral than the other methods.

Steph - That was a very good and informative video. The first mushroom coral at the end is gorgeous; the red one with light blue stripes.
I'll have to get a frag of that from you sometime.
Where you using the corafix superglue ?
I just want to put it out there that using loctite or gorilla brand super glue gel works just as well and costs half as much as the corafix brand.
As long as it is cyanoacrylate it's fine.

I have the frag guide started, I just need to finish it.
I know absolutely nothing about gorgonians so Sorgan, whenever your done with that you can pm it to me and i'll add it.

Where should I post the thing when it's done? It a Microsoft word file.

Nick D.

#29### it I've been so busy with the new nano I forgot, will do it I promise!!

I heard somebody fragged a mushroom by putting it the blender, and it actually worked. There are tons and tons of ways to frag one type of coral. Just something to keep in mind. I'll make a couple videos maybe today or tomorrow on trumpets, maybe my torch, and not sure, but maybe some SPS and some zoos.

I would like to know why if fragging is so easy and they grow back so fast why is a tiny little frag worth 20-50 dollars for the invert equivalent of a weed? Some of the rarer or slower growing I can see but.....For instance I can get a duncan cheaper that a zoa.

What frag are you referring too?

Sps do grow quite slow so they are usually more expensive.
You live in Wi according to your profile, correct?

I don't know about in the UK but over here in the US, LFS charge quite a bit for frags that you can get for sometimes less than 1/2 price at a fragswap or from a fellow hobbyist.
The thing with Zoanthids is that some are very expensive, grow slow and are rare such as red hornets which can sell for $50 a polyp and other grow fast, and are common which makes them cheaper.

Ducan corals grow very fast in my experience.

Most corals don't actually grow as fast as duncans do and they do take time and effort to get them to grow at a good rate.

I actually had a basic guide written for fragging soft corals then my computer crashed.
I have to get a new computer soon! :crazy:

Nick D.

Also if they have a name tacked on (for example "red hornet zoas"), for no reason they become much more valuable. If you ask me, most named corals grow just as fast, and look no better than unnamed frags, but everyone buys into it. It's a total gimmick if you ask me, but each to their own...Also, the coloration plays into the price as well as the type of coral.

What frag are you referring too?

Sps do grow quite slow so they are usually more expensive.
You live in Wi according to your profile, correct?

I don't know about in the UK but over here in the US, LFS charge quite a bit for frags that you can get for sometimes less than 1/2 price at a fragswap or from a fellow hobbyist.
The thing with Zoanthids is that some are very expensive, grow slow and are rare such as red hornets which can sell for $50 a polyp and other grow fast, and are common which makes them cheaper.

Ducan corals grow very fast in my experience.

Most corals don't actually grow as fast as duncans do and they do take time and effort to get them to grow at a good rate.

I actually had a basic guide written for fragging soft corals then my computer crashed.
I have to get a new computer soon! :crazy:

Nick D.

I was referring to zoas and mushrooms.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back