Is she pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luke&jess

Reaction score
Hi I have a swordtail female and I'm not sure if she's pregnant or not and if she is when do you think she will give birth she's in a breeding box so I could get a better pic of her thank you
20200715_150429.jpg

Yes, definitely pregnant.

She looks pretty close to. I would say 4-7 days.

Hard to tell only because I have a similar platy and she just had babies she was bigger then yours. I could be wrong though. I was only able to save 9 idk if she had more they might’ve got eaten. I’ve read they can hold babies for longer and not have them all at once.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 82
I plan to give mine to a local fish store. I won’t have space for these little guys. Since being new to all this. I had no idea they breed so quickly.
Yes, livebearers breed very quickly. Always do your research, before getting fish. :good:

Yes I know now. But I purchased her from PetSmart and of course they didn’t inform me of anything.

Hi I have a swordtail female and I'm not sure if she's pregnant or not and if she is when do you think she will give birth she's in a breeding box so I could get a better pic of her thank you View attachment 109944
Well, could you make another picture but from the other side. I', asking you this for the blotch seems more like black blotch in the skin itself than a gravid spot to be honest. I wonder how the other side of her looks like. So, I won't say that she's pregnant at this point.
@emeraldking needs to step in here. Good luck @Luke&jess and @Ashkay!
And yes @Ashkay , from time to time females can hold on to the rest of the fry and drop them later. That's quite normal.

Well, could you make another picture but from the other side. I', asking you this for the blotch seems more like black blotch in the skin itself than a gravid spot to be honest. I wonder how the other side of her looks like. So, I won't say that she's pregnant at this point.

And yes @Ashkay , from time to time females can hold on to the rest of the fry and drop them later. That's quite normal.
Well I hope she’s done it’s been about a week and I haven’t noticed any other Bavaria.

I bought a pair of platys a M/F and put them in my shrimp tank for QT the next morning I found at least 13 fry while cleaning the tank, 1st platy I bought in over 7 years. Now I have a 30 gallon fry tank with one shrimp and some snails. Was planing on redoing the tank with sand and new scenery and fish but for now it is a fry tank. :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back