is she pregnant or FAT?! No Gravid Spot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Although, this guppy looks phenotypically a female... I do doubt wether it is a real female. Yes, the anal fin is V-shaped but no gravid spot is to be seen which is unnatural for a female guppy. There are males that grow up large but look phenotypically female and won't develop a gonopodium or just a semi developed gonopodium. Most of the time those are XX males instead of XY.
Yes, the belly is large but that could also be bloat, an internal swim bladder problem or even worms.

But give it some time and see what happens...
Thank you so much for that! I was also hoping it wasnā€™t a form of Downey (I believe thatā€™s what itā€™s called)

Thank you so much for that! I was also hoping it wasnā€™t a form of Downey (I believe thatā€™s what itā€™s called)
I assume you meant dropsy. No, if it was dropsy, its scales should be open as a pine cone.

UPDATE: she has finally started dilating. So Iā€™ve taken her out of the main tank into a nursery inside the main tank. I also noticed before removing her, that she was hanging out in the corner ā€œnestingā€ away fro everyone. So hopefully we will have some fry in the AM.

Attachments

• A531031D-2DBF-4793-AAC9-367CC386F939.jpeg
    A531031D-2DBF-4793-AAC9-367CC386F939.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2EBE2535-36BF-4802-8C0D-CD10DA60BEBF.jpeg
    2EBE2535-36BF-4802-8C0D-CD10DA60BEBF.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 24
  • C2B26100-D4C9-4569-816B-29C0A37B8107.jpeg
    C2B26100-D4C9-4569-816B-29C0A37B8107.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 24
yeah just make sure to leave the fry after for a few weeks...if you put them too early back in the tank...like 1 week...half of them will simply vanish...thats if you want them to grow...
me personally I just leave them in the box so they can grow a little bigger and then half of them act as feeders for my pea puffers as my snail population is very small and these guys tend to chill at the bottom where the puffers chill...so at night time when they sleep pea puffers take care of them ^^
B7LdUUG3EE.jpg

I usually only start feeding them once they clear all the leftover food that I fed the big momma for about a week.

I'm not a fan either...as I'd rather have my fish getting rid of slow or "retarted fish" due do inbreeding but...
when you have a community tank like mine you'd rather have them grow a bit before being food...
and the natural selection will happen anyway after I put them in...
but it's either having 15-20 fry or having 1/2...
my neon tetras only breed 1 or 2 a month and thats fine by me...
and then I use the endlers as food source as they breed a lot more without the need for extra tanks/mesh etc...as I would for neons
as my snails are virtually gone so I use the endlers for this..

I'm not a fan either...as I'd rather have my fish getting rid of slow or "retarted fish" due do inbreeding but...
when you have a community tank like mine you'd rather have them grow a bit before being food...
and the natural selection will happen anyway after I put them in...
but it's either having 15-20 fry or having 1/2...
my neon tetras only breed 1 or 2 a month and thats fine by me...
and then I use the endlers as food source as they breed a lot more without the need for extra tanks/mesh etc...as I would for neons
as my snails are virtually gone so I use the endlers for this..
You are breeding Neon Tetras in your tank?

Lol she has not given birthā€¦ she went from thin to super big in like 7 days, Iā€™m thinking itā€™s because of the food & because I donā€™t see a gravid spot. But I also think sheā€™s pregnant. Iā€™m keeping an eye on her
I've got a female molly with similar symptoms. She's big, she's fat, no black at the back of the abdomen and she is a white fish so I would see it. She is hiding in a cave from the male until food comes out. I know she's female because she gave birth a couple of months ago but only one fry survived

You are breeding Neon Tetras in your tank?
They breed about 1 or 2 if I'm lucky every month....but then again...something in the tank I'm betting the puffers are fin nipping them causing some to die...so I kind of break even...
I haven't had to buy neon tetras in a long time and I got a school of about 20ish...

They breed about 1 or 2 if I'm lucky every month....but then again...something in the tank I'm betting the puffers are fin nipping them causing some to die...so I kind of break even...
I haven't had to buy neon tetras in a long time and I got a school of about 20ish...
That is really cool, as Neon's are one of the most difficult fish to breed, you must have the tank set up perfectly for them. Well done.

yeah or so I hear...I've actually tried to breed them in a box without success but they breed in my tank...I noticed they breed/die/killed but break even at around 20 because when I had a school of 6-10 the numbers of them dying made me have to keep buying more...I haven't had to buy neons in around 6 months when I decided to buy 16 at once...
ever since my numbers stay around the same...they breed...some get killed breed..some get killed...but this way the numbers stay relatively the same and I don't have to keep buying them anymore
chrome_g7wojjfNUd.png

here's a pic of a new guy as you can see from the size of my other neons at the bottom left...

yeah or so I hear...I've actually tried to breed them in a box without success but they breed in my tank...I noticed they breed/die/killed but break even at around 20 because when I had a school of 6-10 the numbers of them dying made me have to keep buying more...I haven't had to buy neons in around 6 months when I decided to buy 16 at once...
ever since my numbers stay around the same...they breed...some get killed breed..some get killed...but this way the numbers stay relatively the same and I don't have to keep buying them anymore
View attachment 163280
here's a pic of a new guy as you can see from the size of my other neons at the bottom left...
That is so cool, well done. Like I say that is very difficult to do.

I want to see is the plecos breed in my tank.
Then to me this will be truly a community tank.
With the pea puffers being the natural predators in my tank.
My dream tank will eventually be a mix of salt+freshwater internal sumps on both sides with the salt tank just holding mostly coral for background and the front being freshwater. But this would require a 75+gal tank and as I'm in a condo It's a no no for now. The sump on the salt side would have an inline pump to pull water and push it back in with an air pump to cut out the skimmer.
Eventually in some years when I finally get a house I'll make my crazy salt+freshwater build.
Until then...dreams dreams dreams

yeah just make sure to leave the fry after for a few weeks...if you put them too early back in the tank...like 1 week...half of them will simply vanish...thats if you want them to grow...
me personally I just leave them in the box so they can grow a little bigger and then half of them act as feeders for my pea puffers as my snail population is very small and these guys tend to chill at the bottom where the puffers chill...so at night time when they sleep pea puffers take care of them ^^
View attachment 163277
I usually only start feeding them once they clear all the leftover food that I fed the big momma for about a week.
Yea thatā€™s how I did my divine nine from ā€œbig Mamaā€ ā€¦. Hopefully she has successful birthing

Attachments

• E0DDC04F-540C-4260-ACCF-2634A05CE7EF.jpeg
    E0DDC04F-540C-4260-ACCF-2634A05CE7EF.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 36

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back