Is Sand Ok For A Planted Tank?

tennis4you

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA - Ohio
I am thinking of taking my 30g and removing the gravel and using sand. I just read that sand should be churned every 8-12 weeks. If I do that, I assume I would need to remove the plants to stir up the sand OK. That doesn't sound like that would be ideal for the plants. Anyone battle this?
 
I am not sure but i think that if you have live plants you do not have to churn the sand. You churn so that you dont get toxic gas pockets in the sand, and with live plants the roots help keep the pockets gone.

I think thats what i have read on here, but someone with more knowledge can help out more.
 
I have sand in my 30 gal and the plants love it.

If you have plants then you can't stir the sand all over, that will just damage them and be difficult anyway because of roots . You shouldn't keep taking them out either, they won't grow properly. With the roots breaking up everything underneath, you won't get too much gas building up, but to make sure what I do is take a forked planting stick and prod any exposed areas of sand ( where there are no plants, mostly at the front in my case ) quickly all over. If you do this and have any sort of loaches like khulies, then do make sure you know where they all are as you don't want to accidentally skewer or injure a buried loach while prodding!!!! :o

Some people also like to introduce Malaysian trumpet snails to keep the sand stirred up , but they can breed like mad and get out of control if you don't watch them.
 
Thanks all!

I have to ask Mikaila... What type of plant is that in your sig? I have that in my largest tank and it grows like a weed, I love it!
 
hi
i actually found that my plants grew better in sand, really strong roots ( i say grew,as my oscars ate them ) but honestly no problems at all there :)

Sands OK in planted tanks, but its not ideal. Some plants have trouble rooting in sand.

sorry i just read this, i must add i was only growing the bascic, easy plants, java fern, long grassey plants etc ) so i wasnt trying to contradict :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top