Is my tank cycled ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is this the right stuff if so when I add it in how long will I have to wait before adding fish or is it just until ammonia reaches 0 if so how long approximately will that take ?
It's ammonia and nitrites that should get to zero, though the nitrites will peak at some point first.
You're waiting on an organism to grow and multiply to sufficient numbers so there's no fixed timescale.

It's ammonia and nitrites that should get to zero, though the nitrites will peak at some point first.
You're waiting on an organism to grow and multiply to sufficient numbers so there's no fixed timescale.
Ok thank you if I at the Safe start what change will that make ?

It will just introduce some beneficial bacteria to jump start the cycle. Adding your filter floss and substrate silk seed your tank and get it going in about 3-4 days if you use enough. You’ll want to leave it there for several weeks to let the bacteria continue to grow.

Reactions: kwi
:)
It will just introduce some beneficial bacteria to jump start the cycle. Adding your filter floss and substrate silk seed your tank and get it going in about 3-4 days if you use enough. You’ll want to leave it there for several weeks to let the bacteria continue to grow.
Ok thanks I will update you in a few days on water paremeters an see what stage of the cycle I am at

It might speed things up by adding bacteria that you want into the tank. Or it might make no difference but it won't do any harm.
I have asked my local fish shop about when they will get a dumbo ear Betta in and they said it will be a few weeks do I need to put some fish in there until then to keep the beneficial bacteria alive ? I will be getting live plants once my tank is cycled and adding in some safe start and my master test kit arrived today so I will post a picture of the test results when I have done them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: kwi
To keep bb active for a longer duration of time before adding stocking, just dose 1ppm ammonia every 2 or 3 days, ammonia does not need to be fed every day.

Don’t forget you will need to do a large water change before you add the new livestock into the tank.

Edit - thought be helpful to include this quote from the fishless cycling article -

“If for any reason you are unable to stock the tank when it is cycled, you can continue adding ammonia to keep the tank cycled. For this you should add the 1/3 snack amount every 2-3 days. The bacteria do not need to be fed every day and will be fine. Don’t forget the water change before adding the fish.”

Last edited:
To keep bb active for a longer duration of time before adding stocking, just dose 1ppm ammonia every 2 or 3 days, ammonia does not need to be fed every day.

Don’t forget you will need to do a large water change before you add the new livestock into the tank.

Edit - thought be helpful to include this quote from the fishless cycling article -

“If for any reason you are unable to stock the tank when it is cycled, you can continue adding ammonia to keep the tank cycled. For this you should add the 1/3 snack amount every 2-3 days. The bacteria do not need to be fed every day and will be fine. Don’t forget the water change before adding the fish.”

What is ammonia I don’t have any household ammonia but would fish food do ? or the safe start ?
If so how much should I add ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 50
Ammonia is what the all the livestock’s produces by simply breathing and pooping into the aquarium water column.

Ammonia is a toxic element for all livestock unfortunately so we need to create a beneficial bacteria that will deal with this ammonia to make the water safer to live in for your livestock.

So I would urge you to read the fishless cycling article I linked in my earlier post and read up on this so you have a better understanding of what is cycling is exactly and why we do this.

Using fish food or prawns being allowed to rot in a tank will produce ammonia.

However doing that will also make the water a much poorer quality and also using this method does not allow you to have any real control over how much ammonia is being made or when.

Would advise against using this to create ammonia in your tank, but in some countries it’s near impossible to get any sources of ammonia places like Ireland and Australia due to laws so sometimes doing that method is down to lack of sources of bottled ammonia.

But in UK and USA you can get some of Dr Tims ammonium chloride easily obtained online from source like Amazon, this bottled ammonia is fine to use for cycling purposes.

Ammonia is what the all the livestock’s produces by simply breathing and pooping into the aquarium water column.

Ammonia is a toxic element for all livestock unfortunately so we need to create a beneficial bacteria that will deal with this ammonia to make the water safer to live in for your livestock.

So I would urge you to read the fishless cycling article I linked in my earlier post and read up on this so you have a better understanding of what is cycling is exactly and why we do this.

Using fish food or prawns being allowed to rot in a tank will produce ammonia.

However doing that will also make the water a much poorer quality and also using this method does not allow you to have any real control over how much ammonia is being made or when.

Would advise against using this to create ammonia in your tank, but in some countries it’s near impossible to get any sources of ammonia places like Ireland and Australia due to laws so sometimes doing that method is down to lack of sources of bottled ammonia.

But in UK and USA you can get some of Dr Tims ammonium chloride easily obtained online from source like Amazon, this bottled ammonia is fine to use for cycling purposes.
Ok thank you here are my water specifications is my pH to high for a Betta ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 56
“Bettas are soft water fish, and prefer a pH of neutral (7.0) or slightly acidic. They can adapt to a higher pH, as long as it is stable. It is inadvisable to use chemicals to alter the pH, which can cause dangerous fluctuations. A high pH or hard water will cause fins to curl, particularly in crowntails(this is purely cosmetic and not a health problem), which are particularly sensitive to inappropriate water parameters. Indian almond leaf (IAL) or blackwater extract (BWE) can help lower the pH naturally.”

Quote from -

“Bettas are soft water fish, and prefer a pH of neutral (7.0) or slightly acidic. They can adapt to a higher pH, as long as it is stable. It is inadvisable to use chemicals to alter the pH, which can cause dangerous fluctuations. A high pH or hard water will cause fins to curl, particularly in crowntails(this is purely cosmetic and not a health problem), which are particularly sensitive to inappropriate water parameters. Indian almond leaf (IAL) or blackwater extract (BWE) can help lower the pH naturally.”

Quote from -

Thank you I have added the dose I need for the safe start so when can I add fish because my ammonia and nitrite both read zero

Has you ever had an indication for ammonia?
If so how much?
Have you ever had a reding for nitrite?
Again how much?

As a tank cycles bacteria eats ammonia and multiplies.
This bacteria produces nitrite, another bacteria eats the nitrite and multiplies, but not as fast as the ammonia eating bacteria, so nitrites will actually reach a peak before coming down again.
You know if you are fully cycled when you can add 3ppm ammonia to the tank and then ammonia and nitrites read nil after 24 hours. Don't try this if you have fish in the water.
Ammonia is scarce at the moment but I found a bottle of Dr Tims on eBay, paid 3 times the going rate but I got it.

Safestart doesn't contain ammonia, otherwise all the bacteria would have eaten it, multiplied, then suffocated after using up all the oxygen in the bottle.

You basically need to cycle the tank first before adding any fish as I mentioned already that ammonia is toxic to fish and would recommend you to read the fishless article to get an understanding what needs to be done and why.

I understand this is a big learning curve and a lot of information to take on, especially when the chap at the fish store gave you advice about putting fish in after x number of days and letting the tank run for a few days or whatever jumbo jumbo he spoke of.

If you add a betta before cycling the tank, and don’t watch the water parameters then chances are your betta will suffer and possibly develop illnesses and worst case but likely scenario, die.

The bottle of safe start is basically bottled bacteria but it’s not enough just to pour this in and then add fish.

You basically need to cycle the tank first before adding any fish as I mentioned already that ammonia is toxic to fish and would recommend you to read the fishless article to get an understanding what needs to be done and why.

I understand this is a big learning curve and a lot of information to take on, especially when the chap at the fish store gave you advice about putting fish in after x number of days and letting the tank run for a few days or whatever jumbo jumbo he spoke of.

If you add a betta before cycling the tank, and don’t watch the water parameters then chances are your betta will suffer and possibly develop illnesses and worst case but likely scenario, die.

The bottle of safe start is basically bottled bacteria but it’s not enough just to pour this in and then add fish.
Ok thank you very much I have now added the suggested dose of safe start and will check if I can add fish next week

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back