Is my Red Clawed Crab Laying Eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nomaddan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently watched one of my female red crabs moving along the bottom of the tank with what looked like a thin thread with small beads all along it coming from her midsection underneath. I could not get a good look at where it was coming from but it looked like she was covering it with sand. I don't know much about their breeding habits. Any info would be be great. :D

Red crabs will not breed succesfully in an aquarium, that we know for sure. The 'fry' are microscopic and need microscopic food, they require sea water to develop in and then move gradually towards fresh or brackish water. They are very cannibalistic also which is why each crab has millions of eggs.

When a female red crab is bearing eggs, you can very clearly see a large mass of red coloured goo under the legs, I've never seen a long stringy thing coming out of my crabs but it could be coming from the mouth parts (the crabs regurgitate waste back through the mouth).

You can tell if you have a female by looking at the flap underneath, if its wide and rounded, almost reaching the legs, then the crab is female, the male has a much thinner pointy flap. Thats the only way to know for sure, as a male crabs claws will be smaller if they have ever been lost previously.

I don't know about this paticular species, but most crabs don't 'lay' eggs as such, but carry them around in a special pouch under their tail until they're ready to hatch.

Perhaps you saw your crab..ahem.. doing a poo.

Thanks guys,

It did catch me off guard. I watch my tanks for hours sometimes and had never seen this before. Oh well, what would I do with a million crabs anyway :S

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back