Is My Neon Tetra Sick?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BOBJOESIM

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So as the title suggests, i'd like to know what your opinions are on my tetra who seems to have a white spot of scales towards his back and a belly that protrudes weirdly. He's been like this for a couple of months now and im curious as to if there are any diseases that i should worry ahbout that he could spread to new fish? Ammonia is around 0 to maybe 0.25 ppm if I stretch it a little, temp around 84, pH i recently lowered to 6.8, and that's it.

Attachments

• WP_20160819_18_22_38_Pro (3).jpg
    WP_20160819_18_22_38_Pro (3).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,151
a picture that's more clearer (if possible) would be nice! some of my tetras have big stomachs since i feed them twice a day, there on a diet now but... LOL

Anyway i would look into the white spot thing, ick? maybe...? ill look into it

I will try to get a clearer picture by tomorrow but this 300kb size limit for photos is killing me...I'm not sure about ick because he's had it for 6(?) months now and the aquarium water fluctuates around 84 degrees, usually higher. I was thinking NTD, but again he's been like this for so long. The main reason he's by himself is because when I bought the school, the other 5 tetras died over 2 weeks randomly (no symptoms besides swim bladders not working, becoming lethargic, or some kind of fungus growths), but that was 8 months ago...I'm just thinking if he had what they had he'd probably have died by now...

Attachments

• WP_20160819_21_26_37_Selfie (2).jpg
    WP_20160819_21_26_37_Selfie (2).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 377
if he's been like it for a for while without issue i probably wouldn't worry. shop fish are all inbred, so you are going to get some deformitites.

In any case, it looks like a very bloated stomach, perhaps your tetra is constipated, although making him eat laxatives is going to be a challenge

As long as he can swim properly and still "interacts" with the tank, and eats, i think it's probably just a deformity. I had one which grew bent.

When your uploading your pictures are you using an online share site like Photobucket or Flickr? These will automatically adjust the size of the picture to fit the forums requirements.

As for the neon tetra in the first photo it looks almost like it has a kinked back (although that could be just that it was moving when the photo was taken), if the back is kinked two possibilities spring to mind fish TB or genetic deformity.
In the second photo it looks as though the stomach is swelling forwards towards the head. To my mind this could be sign of internal worms.

I'd remove it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Another picture. It's like a white discoloration towards his back fins that goes all the way down to the red portion...

Another picture that shows the whiteish color towards the back...

Attachments

• WP_20160820_13_20_28_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20160820_13_20_28_Pro (2).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 389
  • WP_20160819_18_18_11_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20160819_18_18_11_Pro (2).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 330
As said I'd remove it as quick as possible. This is no good.

DoubleDutch said:
As said I'd remove it as quick as possible. This is no good.

Just curious as  to what you think he has? Maybe I can treat it or prevent it in the future because I've had problems with neons before.

Think it is a combination of several issues. Could be anything : a diet thing or an internal.parasite of some sort preventing it to grow to a healthy fish and making it vunerable for external infections.

DoubleDutch said:
Think it is a combination of several issues. Could be anything : a diet thing or an internal.parasite of some sort preventing it to grow to a healthy fish and making it vunerable for external infections.

Should I try treating him?

BOBJOESIM said:

Should I try treating him?
In my experience I'd say that's no use Bob. As said it has several.issues and is quite far gone. I'd humanely euthanise it and keep an eye on the other fish. Sorry !

I have a question....why is the temp at 84? And it goes higher?? I've been looking into getting neons and they definitely don't want this high of a temp. They prefer it more around 75. So you could just be dealing with stressed induced illness. If you can't cool the tank you really should look at getting fish that can handle the temperature a lot better, sorry to say. neons are pretty sensitive fish.

Also...how did you lower the ph? Did you do this chemically or by diluting it with RO or some other type of water? What is the ph of your normal tap that you do water changes with? And how much/often do you do these?

cowgirluntamed said:
I have a question....why is the temp at 84? And it goes higher?? I've been looking into getting neons and they definitely don't want this high of a temp. They prefer it more around 75. So you could just be dealing with stressed induced illness. If you can't cool the tank you really should look at getting fish that can handle the temperature a lot better, sorry to say. neons are pretty sensitive fish.

Also...how did you lower the ph? Did you do this chemically or by diluting it with RO or some other type of water? What is the ph of your normal tap that you do water changes with? And how much/often do you do these?

I use this API adjuster kit that comes with the testing solution for the pH. And regards to the temperature, I really don't know how I can possibly reduce the water temperature...maybe it's because it's during the summer but even when I do 50% water changes from cold tap water it quickly changes to at least 82 degrees within an hour. I tried the floating ice in the aquarium water method but that only lasts for a couple of hours. Again I believe it's just because it's currently summer time (in New York). I don't even have my heater plugged in so that definitely isn't the issue. When I remove him from the aquarium, how long should I wait for adding any new fish?
Edit: And I checked the tap water for pH a few days back, and it's at least 7.6 :/

Ok...first thing....quit messing with the ph. Using chemicals like this will make it fluctuate way too much. Which is way stressful for the fish. It may not be ideal, but a stable ph is better. Do you use a water conditioner as well to remove chlorine/chloramines? Also I wouldn't do really drastic temperature change when you do the water changes. I know some people do cooler ones for certain fish but it is mainly for breeding.

As to your temperature....is this tank in the sun? Is that why it's heating up or is the room it's in too hot? If you cant get this to lower by changing something of that sort, I'd suggest trying to get a chiller for your tank. Otherwise you're just kind of cooking these fish, sorry to say. This kind of heat is suggested to treat ich and only stay that high temporarily(a week or two).

I really wouldn't think of getting any more fish until you can get the temperature down if that's what they need. Otherwise look for warmer water fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back