Is My Glowlight Danio Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

orangefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting a photo because they are so quick! I have only had pregnant livebearers before, so don't know what the shape of an egglayer is meant to be like :L I have noticed today that 1 of my glowlight danios stomachs is dipping a lot more underneath at the front than the other glowlight's. I read on the pinned topic on here that it is difficult to distinguish between genders until they are pregnant. I'm pretty sure it's not dropsy. I'll try and get a picture, but does anyone have any idea or a picture so suggest if she is pregnant or not?

I am having trouble getting a photo because they are so quick! I have only had pregnant livebearers before, so don't know what the shape of an egglayer is meant to be like :L I have noticed today that 1 of my glowlight danios stomachs is dipping a lot more underneath at the front than the other glowlight's. I read on the pinned topic on here that it is difficult to distinguish between genders until they are pregnant. I'm pretty sure it's not dropsy. I'll try and get a picture, but does anyone have any idea or a picture so suggest if she is pregnant or not?

Glowlight Danios roughly breed in the same way as other Danios like the Zebra Danio. When Zebra Danio are pregnant , there stomachs grows bigger, kinda semi-circle shape and they do a breeding dance. Here is a picture:
femaledanio_1.jpg

Just make sure its not Dropsy

But on a seperate note, for the fish's sake and for more chance of the eggs hatching, I'd suggest keeping 5 or more Glowlight Danio

Glowlight Danios roughly breed in the same way as other Danios like the Zebra Danio. When Zebra Danio are pregnant , there stomachs grows bigger, kinda semi-circle shape and they do a breeding dance. Here is a picture:
femaledanio_1.jpg

But on a seperate note, for the fish's sake and for more chance of the eggs hatching, I'd suggest keeping 5 or more Glowlight Danio

Ok thanks for the help. I've been meaning to get some more of the glowlight danios for a while as I know they are schoaling fish but I just haven't got round to it!
When you say a 'breeding dance', what do you mean exactly?
Also, do you have a picture of a danio with dropsy- just in case? It is difficult to tell if she is pregnant from the photo myself but I will try and get a picture of my own up. Thanks!

femaledanio_1.jpg

Ok thanks for the help. I've been meaning to get some more of the glowlight danios for a while as I know they are schoaling fish but I just haven't got round to it!
When you say a 'breeding dance', what do you mean exactly?
Also, do you have a picture of a danio with dropsy- just in case? It is difficult to tell if she is pregnant from the photo myself but I will try and get a picture of my own up. Thanks!

A breeding dance is when the males circle the females and when the get in front of them, they shake their bodies.
As for the picture of a danio with dropsy, here it is:
dropsysideview.jpg

Well it doesn't look like dropsy which is good. I haven't seen the male doing a breeding dance yet either. Thanks (still working on the pictures!)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back