Is My Dalmation Molly Female And Pregnant ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nmacog

Reaction score
Hi All,

We are new to keeping fish. Had our 1st tank 3 weeks with only one fish at present, been in there 2 weeks, a Dalmation Balloon Molly. 

When we were sold it, we were told it was male. However we are suspecting it is female and pregnant ! Could someone please shed some light on this ? We're new to keeping fish and rather confused at the moment. Photo attached

We have not been overfeeding it (afaik)

Many thanks in advance

IMG_20130514_210417 (Large).jpg

It is definitely female. It's really difficult to tell if it's pregnant because it's a balloon molly. However, if she shared a tank with males at the LFS, the chances are she is pregnant.

Hi - many thanks for your reply - out of interest, how can you tell it's female ?

Hi, nmacog,

If you look at the anal fin (that's the one on end of the fish's tummy, just before the tail) your fish has normal, fan shaped fin, which means it's a female.

Male livebearers have that fin modified into a rod like structure called a 'gonopodium', which they use like a penis :)

thanks guys - really appreciate it !

No problem; it's what we're here for :)

Just be careful because yoyrs is s balloon molly. They have been selectively bred to have that round shape that looks like a heavily pregnant normal molly.

True, but I've found with baloons it's much easier to identify when they are squared off because of that fat fat belly.

i got a female molly that has given birth ...... but her belly is still round from now after her birth.... is she a balloon molly???

Not necessarily, they can still be quite round after a fry-drop. Post a photo and we can be sure.

ok ill try my best to post the photo..... including the black molly im been asking to my topoic...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back