Is my cycle going okay?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KikiY

Reaction score
Once again back for cycling help. I'm getting my second 10g cycled and I'm trying to follow the instructions provided on this forum. I've gone up to Ammonia Dose #3 and I haven't gotten the readings to put #4 in. My nitrites have been high for a while and show no sign of coming down. And now my nitrates are ruby red. I tried a water change yesterday but it didn't do anything to either reading. It was ~20%.

I started in the last days of July and I've been keeping up with readings most everyday. There were a few days I just didn't take them. Then there were a few days my power went out so I didn't get to take the readings since I was at my cousin's.

Here's a spreadsheet with my best attempt at readings. Also has notes and a little picture diary for most of my readings. My nitrate readings might be a little off since I do find the test a bit hard to read with the subtle shade differences. I know they're not the best pictures, but something's better than nothing, right?

wish I could help, but I am new to the hobby. I did things differently by using a quick start nitrifying bacterial culture. Noticed yesterday the products said to use the starter for all water changes.
Another thing I did was remove substate from an established tank and add it to the new tank, along with some new substate. This should help establish desirable bacteria in the new tank. Or so I’m reading from credible sources and makes sense to me.

If its a mechanical filter youre cycling you can always seed it with some mature media from an established filter. If its a sponge filter you can run it in your established tank and it should cycle quicker (dont know exactly how quick but bacteria are already in the established tank). Thats what I've always done anyway.

Maybe not ideal but when cycling the new sponge filter after a week or so I'll make sure the fish are fed a little more so your original filter stays strong aswell as the new one. Just keep an eye on parametres.

If its a mechanical filter youre cycling you can always seed it with some mature media from an established filter. If its a sponge filter you can run it in your established tank and it should cycle quicker (dont know exactly how quick but bacteria are already in the established tank). Thats what I've always done anyway.

Maybe not ideal but when cycling the new sponge filter after a week or so I'll make sure the fish are fed a little more so your original filter stays strong aswell as the new one. Just keep an eye on parametres.
Yes! I read about using the old sponge filter too in a new tank to introduce beneficial bacteria. Like that idea.

You can put the fish is straight away so its perfect
I hope the old substrate worked just as well. I transferred some from an established 10 G tank to a new 10 G tank. Read many shops will give old substrate to ppl buying fish & setting up a tank. The 4 fish in the second tank are doing well & the params are good.

You can put the fish is straight away so its perfect
Not always...depends on how large the BB colony on the sponge is, as well as how large of a bioload from fish you introduce...you need to check params daily after adding fish, regardless of what kind of filter you have, to make sure the BB can keep up with the new bioload

For the OP, what is the tank reading for ph, as asked above?....what temp is the tank?....you have not done any cleaning (especially the filter) during the cycle, correct?

glad the transfer of old sand worked for me.
checked parameters before & after adding 4 tiny catfish to new 10 G home. I like the black sand & choose all albino fish for a nice contrast.

Not always...depends on how large the BB colony on the sponge is, as well as how large of a bioload from fish you introduce...you need to check params daily after adding fish, regardless of what kind of filter you have, to make sure the BB can keep up with the new bioload

For the OP, what is the tank reading for ph, as asked above?....what temp is the tank?....you have not done any cleaning (especially the filter) during the cycle, correct?

I didn't say how many fish you could put straight in d:D but yes thanks for adding this.

I'm using a sponge filter personally since I'm a betta keeper. Experienced keeper but cycling is not really an area of expertise. Plus I've been out of the hobby for a while 😅

My pH seems around maybe 7.4-7.6. The high test didn't rate above 7.4 and the normal test is very blue.

Tank temp has been around 79-80 degrees.

No, the only "cleaning" I did was that one small water change and I did use a bit of the bacterial starter since I didn't use my whole bottle.

I didn't say how many fish you could put straight in d:D but yes thanks for adding this.
Hey, if I'm gonna be patient while I fishless cycle, I'm going to be impatient waiting to fully stock the tank...I want my fishes, lol

I'm using a sponge filter personally since I'm a betta keeper. Experienced keeper but cycling is not really an area of expertise. Plus I've been out of the hobby for a while 😅

My pH seems around maybe 7.4-7.6. The high test didn't rate above 7.4 and the normal test is very blue.

Tank temp has been around 79-80 degrees.

No, the only "cleaning" I did was that one small water change and I did use a bit of the bacterial starter since I didn't use my whole bottle.
Liquid test kit?....your ph is fine, it will fluctuate during a cycle a bit, perfectly normal.

The BB we are trying to grow to cycle the tank multiply faster in warmer water, turn your heater up to get the tank temp to around 82 or 83F

Warmer water holds less oxygen, though, so get a bubbler going, and crank up your filter(s) to max flow, if you can...it will aid in gas exchange at the surface...BB needs O2

Follow the cycling directions precisely, test daily, and report back here

Liquid test kit?....your ph is fine, it will fluctuate during a cycle a bit, perfectly normal.

The BB we are trying to grow to cycle the tank multiply faster in warmer water, turn your heater up to get the tank temp to around 82 or 83F

Warmer water holds less oxygen, though, so get a bubbler going, and crank up your filter(s) to max flow, if you can...it will aid in gas exchange at the surface...BB needs O2

Follow the cycling directions precisely, test daily, and report back here
Well, this just came in the mail. Says ok to add fish immediately. Other similar nitrifying agent said wait 48 hours.

Attachments

• 25505CCA-B3AE-4BC7-933E-5AE84BAAEEE5.jpeg
    25505CCA-B3AE-4BC7-933E-5AE84BAAEEE5.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 54
Well, this just came in the mail. Says ok to add fish immediately. Other similar nitrifying agent said wait 48 hours.
Return it.

These things are a waste of $, IMO. Completely unneeded.

The more chemicals/solutions/goo we add to our tanks during a cycle (or anytime, actually), the more we complicate water quality

All that's needed during a fishless cycle is ammonia, water conditioner, a good test kit, and patience

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back