andywg
Bored into leaving
- Joined
- Aug 16, 2004
- Messages
- 6,350
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 36
- Location
- Somewhere else, as I am banned...
andywg, you seem to be saying, whatever the case, if deliberate or by mistake, the retailer has no responsibility of any kind for the action or inactions of itself or its staff when related to stock sales.
Sadly I am not. I am saying that if there is an honest "mistake" when giving advice over something that is far from set in stone (look on the internet, how many different maximum sizes and minimum tank sizes can you find for fish like a BGK?) they should not, and will not, be held responsible.
apart from being untrue, like it or not, the sale of goods act and the trade description act both apply here as anywhere else in the retail trade.
If you so are certain, why have you not provided the sections of the statute that apply here as I requested you to do so? I read through the BERR guides on those statutes last night (I didn't have time to read the entire acts) and I could find no reference to a situation such as this. Could it be because the sort of situation we are describing here is not covered by statute? I think that is the case, hence why English transaction law has the principle of caveat emptor.
You seem certain that the above acts cover this situation and makes your view correct. I shall not believe you until you can point me to the relvant section of statute, or at least to relevant case law regarding this. I do not feel this is an unreasonable position to take. Since you are so sure this is the case, I presume you will have no difficulty in posting the exact sections/case references in your next post.
it is a morally bankrupt attitude, making it a very eighty's. personally i cant help thinking Maggie would be proud of you.![]()
Why would I be worried about Maggie? I think she did absolute wonders for the country (and not just for crushing the unions) and the fact she was re-elected by the public twice would imply many others agree with me.
As to morally bankrupt, what is wrong with the customer taking on some responsibility for their actions. I think it is equally morally bankrupt to decide to take on a life but to not do any personal research and rely on just one person's view on how it should be kept (if you even ask that). I just don't see how you can say it is morally bankrupt if someone who doesn't know any better gives incorrect advice to someone who is not paying for that advice (and that bit in bold is what truly differentiates between this and the endowment mortgages - the lack of a transaction for the advice).
If we actually paid the store for advice then everything you have said would ring true, but we don't.
/www.consumerdirect.gov.uk






