Is It The Fish Store Clerk's Responsibility?

Bubblenester

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Arizona
I've been reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freshwater Aquariums", and for the most part it's a decent book. I just read the section about choosing fish, and the author wrote about a "horror story" of a woman who went into a pet shop and chose 30 fish, including an angelfish, a Jack Dempsey, neon tetras, a polka dot catfish, and a green terror. Turns out she was putting them all together in a 10 gallon tank, so you can guess what happened. The author placed the blame squarely on the pet store clerk, for catching her the fish without asking her any questions about her tank. Being a fish store employee myself, I found that interesting. Of course it's in a shop's best interest to make sure their customers are successful in the hobby, and this includes making sure their new fish will be suitable for their tank... but isn't it ultimately the responsibility of the customer to do this, either by doing research before they walk in or by asking questions once they're in the store? What do you guys think?
 
I've been reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freshwater Aquariums", and for the most part it's a decent book. I just read the section about choosing fish, and the author wrote about a "horror story" of a woman who went into a pet shop and chose 30 fish, including an angelfish, a Jack Dempsey, neon tetras, a polka dot catfish, and a green terror. Turns out she was putting them all together in a 10 gallon tank, so you can guess what happened. The author placed the blame squarely on the pet store clerk, for catching her the fish without asking her any questions about her tank. Being a fish store employee myself, I found that interesting. Of course it's in a shop's best interest to make sure their customers are successful in the hobby, and this includes making sure their new fish will be suitable for their tank... but isn't it ultimately the responsibility of the customer to do this, either by doing research before they walk in or by asking questions once they're in the store? What do you guys think?

I believe that it is partly the customers faught but mainly the responsibility of the shop owner to see that their fish go to a nice home and a suitable home, you wouldnt sell a puppy to someone who lives on the 5th floor of a apartment building as its not what a puppy needs (garden ect), TBH I think a shop should refuse to sell fish to someone they feel is unsuitable and unfit to look after their livestock, Even Pet @ home near me ask questions about how long the tank has been establish the size and other occupants of the tank which is highly repremandable and shows good qualitys of a fsh shop.
 
I think its largely the customers responsibility, however i do think it was party the pet shop staffs fault in this situation as there was a large chance that this woman was going to put all the fish into one small tank. Pet shop staff should not sell animals to people who are obviously not capable of looking after them properly in their current state.
 
I think fish shops should ask what size the tank is, what the tankmates are, and have the right to refuse to sell the fish to unsuitable owners, however I don't think that it is the employees' responsibility if that makes sense.
 
I agree with the idea that the employees should ask about the tank the fish will go in, but not about refusing to sell the fish.

All it will do is replace the 'Stupid LFS sold me 30 fish for a new tank' with 'Stupid LFS won't sell me a fish that can go in my tank'.
 
I think for the most part its the customers responsibility to choose the fish, but a pet store should always be willing to offer advice. In our capitalist system the goal would be to sell as much fish as possible no matter what the cost. However, there is a point to where a fish stores must choose to either have compassion for animals and refuse a sale to someone like the lady in the article, or succumb to greed.
 
I agree the LFS employee should ask some questions, such as tank size, tank mates, etc. Ultimately though it is the customers responsibility to do the proper research before obtaining any live animal, whether it be a fish or puppy.

To take the other view of what Ace of Spades said
believe that it is partly the customers faught but mainly the responsibility of the shop owner to see that their fish go to a nice home and a suitable home, you wouldnt sell a puppy to someone who lives on the 5th floor of a apartment building as its not what a puppy needs (garden ect),

Shouldn't it be the potential owners responsibility to make sure they are choosing a breed that is suitable for their environment? After all, if you are going to take the responsibility of buying an animal, shouldn't you make the effort to find out what you are buying. We all know there are irresponsible people out there (some days it seems if that's all there is :crazy: ) but unfortunately those people are going to buy whatever they want regardless of any advice.

For my part-time job I sell technology items, the most frustrating customers are those who expect you to teach them about every item you sell instead of spending some time researching the items available. Like many other chain stores, our corporate office continually cuts the payroll hours, which means we have less employees, therefore less time to spend with each customer. And yet, we still get those people on a daily basis that expect you to spend and hour or more explaining everything to them, and most of the time don't buy anything. (That's another complaint all together). And while it's not the customer's fault that we have less employees for customer service, that lack of help, like it or not, transfers more responsibility on the customer to research what they want BEFORE they arrive. I have no problem answering extra questions someone may have as long as they have done the preliminary research.

Sorry for the long rant, but I really think every person is responsible for their own actions. :good:
 
The problem is that while it's pretty obvious that a dog will need a garden, exercise, food, company etc. the needs of a fish are not always so obvious which is why there is constant debates in this forum. I have angelfish living with neon tetras, some people have bettas in community tanks... fish keeping IS about trial and error.

Also the trouble is when you get to a fish shop and you see a fish and fall in love... you hope that rather than running home to google you can rely on the guy who is PAID to know about the fish to tell you whether it is suitable in your current set up.

I think to be honest most LFS employees are sick of arguing with newbies who are sure 5 JDs will be fine in their 10g so rather than get stressed out by it just give up... and i actually find most employees like to be asked questions by someone who actualy has a vague idea what they're on about...

I say LFS responsibility!! There are always going to be irresponsible selfish ppl out there who dont care about the fish's well being.. it's up to the people who can do something about it to stop them (in not selling them fish)

Sorry for the long post!
 
bit of both really

yes the customer should take responsibility, should do their own research and so on, and nothing will negate their responsibility to do this. a good fish shop will always ask a few basic questions, particularly when selling anything large, aggressive or specialised (in this case the JD and GT should have prompted at least a 'what size is this tank'). You will of course always get people who lie about the size of tank etc to get the fish they like, obviously there's nothing the fish store can do in this case, you just have to take the customer at their word.
 
I'd say the store should take large responsibility. I was looking at a zebra something-or-other the other day and the owner came up and explained that he may only be 3 inches now but he can grow over a foot long. It's simple and straight forward advice thats needed from them to prevent the majority of fish stress/overcrowding/fish death.

I usually have to sign a declaration form everytime I buy from my local store, with a list of fish already in my tank, alongside a list of fish I am adding.
 
Mainly when i go to get any fish the lfs alway asked what fish i have in my tank and what fish i can have with them. And try not overstock my tank.
 
The LFS should aid in getting the fish into the proper environment. Their advise should be sound and honest.

However, it is ultimately the customer who will be caring for the fish and it is their responsibility to be sure they can provide the best available care.
 
I think to an extent it is the clerk's responsibility. Any good standing fish shop would ask questions, and then offer advice to the person. Obviously if the person is intent on buying the fish, there is only so much the clerk could do, everyone is working for the almighty dollar.

However, you will come across some fish shops that don't care if they do not sell a fish to someone, they would prefer ensuring the fish will be well taken care of, rather than prefer to make a sale.

This past weekend I went to a fish shop that had a lot of saltwater fish. Of course, there was a 10-12 year old girl who wanted "a nemo fish" and there was a large argument between the girl's mother and the clerk, because they thought you just buy the fish, stick it in a bowl, and it will be happy as a clam. And would not listen to the clerk as they tried to explain why they can't do that and eventually walked out of the store.

I thought it was good of the clerk to say no.
 
Well that's the question you have to ask, would you just sell your fish to anyone without asking questions and sit back and think "well, it's their responsibility". I couldn't be so heartless.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top