Is it possible to upgrade my built in filter to handle more waste for my Fluval Spec 5 gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a fluvial spec 5, and I obviously didn't do my research because 2 weeks in I already have 10 life forms in it, and an algae bloom. I'm afraid I overstocked my tank and my parents won't let me return any fish due to the fact that we bought them. For this reason, I'm seeing if I can upgrade the filter so that I can keep ammonia levels down. Also, what test things to I need to buy? Right now I don't have anything for the aquairium beside the tank and built in components themselves, plants and fish, an anti-chlorinator bottle, and food. Yes, I know I should move the tetras because it's the tank is too small but right now there isn't much I can do for them.

Attachments

• MainFishTank2.jpeg
    MainFishTank2.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 111
I have a fluvial spec 5, and I obviously didn't do my research because 2 weeks in I already have 10 life forms in it, and an algae bloom. I'm afraid I overstocked my tank and my parents won't let me return any fish due to the fact that we bought them. For this reason, I'm seeing if I can upgrade the filter so that I can keep ammonia levels down. Also, what test things to I need to buy? Right now I don't have anything for the aquairium beside the tank and built in components themselves, plants and fish, an anti-chlorinator bottle, and food. Yes, I know I should move the tetras because it's the tank is too small but right now there isn't much I can do for them.
what are your life forms?(that is a nice way of saying it please dont change that)
the tetras cant be with guppies, they are on the opposite side of ph scale
your tank does not look overstocked to me
unless the fish/other life forms are hiding

Yeah, I should probably deal with some.
what are your life forms?(that is a nice way of saying it please dont change that)
your tank does not look overstocked to me
unless the fish/other life forms are hiding
I have 4 cherry shrimp, 3 of which are quite active, the other one only comes out at night, a pair of fancy guppies, 2 ruby tetras I believe, 1 cardinal tetra, who's partner died during transportation(rip), and one prolific ramshorn.

I'm pretty sure these are rubies but I don't remember.

Attachments

• RubyTetra.jpeg
    RubyTetra.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 73
  • RubyTetraComparison.jpeg
    RubyTetraComparison.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 73
I've had them for 1 week and they all seem fine right now. For testing PH do I just use the yellow paper PH strips?

Yeah, I should probably deal with some.

I have 4 cherry shrimp, 3 of which are quite active, the other one only comes out at night, a pair of fancy guppies, 2 ruby tetras I believe, 1 cardinal tetra, who's partner died during transportation(rip), and one prolific ramshorn.

I'm pretty sure these are rubies but I don't remember.
i personally do not think it is overstocked.
if you can, you should move the tetras to a bigger tank and give them some friends, schools of 3 or 6 are better...
leave the guppies in threre since they need hard water
put some corals or something in there( not now it isnt good for tetra)
I've had them for 1 week and they all seem fine right now. For testing PH do I just use the yellow paper PH strips?
i reccomend getting a bit of water out of the tank first
it might release bad stuff into the water
discard the water and wash the bottle
(it should work)

Sorry what do you mean by that?
also
i thought it was a 10 gallon if its a 5 it is on the brim of stocking
if you add more sponges in the filter and do frequent water changes it might be ok

use like a small container and fill with tank water
put ph strip in and let it soak
pour the water down the drain
and wash the container with tap water

Oh that's what you meant, Thanks

So basically separate some water from the tank and test it in there, instead of in the tank itself so that no toxins get in.

if you add more sponges in the filter and do frequent water changes it might be ok
There isn't really space for me to add more filters. As you can see from this picture, there is no room to put extra sponges in.

Attachments

• Spec-Filtration_product.png
    Spec-Filtration_product.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 75
There isn't really space for me to add more filters. As you can see from this picture, there is no room to put extra sponges in.
can you explain what the bags are?
maybe you can take one out and put something better in

Will adding more plants help lessen the load on the filter? And what about the duckweed? I've read that they're beneficial but can be annoying if you're trying to remove it

Will adding more plants help lessen the load on the filter? And what about the duckweed? I've read that they're beneficial but can be annoying if you're trying to remove it
it is ok on a 5 gallon not a hassle but for my 75gallon oh boy it takes like 30 mins to remove half of it
make sure theres some light for the small plants on the bottom
maybe some red root floater or some other floaters?
they are bigger and soak more bad stuff

can you explain what the bags are?
maybe you can take one out and put something better in
The top one is activated carbon, and the second one is white filter stuff in a bag that I refer to as the "cheerios"

Attachments

• 61w4eXYvkwL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    61w4eXYvkwL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 58
I think they're there for the bacteria to settle in.

The top one is activated carbon, and the second one is white filter stuff in a bag that I refer to as the "cheerios"
hmm, you can maybe add some porous stones or more plants in there so there is more place for ben.bac to grow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back