Is it possible for pest snails to not reproduce?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

car.nelian

Reaction score
Hi there! I have a planted tank, and previously i had a infestation of pest snails. They seemed to die off awhile ago, when I changed substrates, but about a month ago, I noticed that one small snail was going along one of my plants. Iā€™ve noticed sheā€™s laid multiple groups of eggs, but none of them have hatched. Honestly, Iā€™m just kinda confused about this.

If you're not overfeeding, and cleaning the substrate and tank pretty well, then they don't reproduce as much. If they go mad and have a population explosion, it's a sure sign you're over feeding, or under cleaning, or both! So perhaps you just have the balance right at the moment? :)

It is physically impossible for them not to breed. They will always lay eggs and always hatch. I'm surprised you had a die out.
So!drying must have gone horribly wrong then... was your home hit by a meteor? šŸ˜‚

If you're not overfeeding, and cleaning the substrate and tank pretty well, then they don't reproduce as much. If they go mad and have a population explosion, it's a sure sign you're over feeding, or under cleaning, or both! So perhaps you just have the balance right at the moment? :)
Plus one to the above

It could be soft water not giving them enough calcium, but if you find out why these pest snails died, please share it. Not that I want to murder snails, oh no. That's the farthest thing from my mind!

I am feeding differently than I was when the infestation was really bad, so maybe thatā€™s it. Honestly though, Iā€™m not even sure where she came from. The tank had been snail free for 3 months, and I hadnā€™t added anything new since I changed from pebbles to sand. She literally just appeared out of no where one day.

It is physically impossible for them not to breed. They will always lay eggs and always hatch. I'm surprised you had a die out.
So!drying must have gone horribly wrong then... was your home hit by a meteor? šŸ˜‚
Honestly, Iā€™m just confused. I donā€™t even know where she came from, but itā€™s been at least 4 weeks now and there are no babies in the tank yet. And as for having them all die out, I really wish I know what happened. I had been trying to get rid of them since I got my tank set up.

It could be soft water not giving them enough calcium, but if you find out why these pest snails died, please share it. Not that I want to murder snails, oh no. That's the farthest thing from my mind!
I can go get my water tested later, so Iā€™ll update when I know about the water. In regards to the snails dying, the only major thing I did was change from gravel substrate to sand. They were completely gone for about 3 months, then this one popped up about 4 weeks ago. Iā€™m honestly not sure where she came from tho.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back