Is It Normal For A Few Fry To Die?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My platy had 20 (roughly) earlier this month and so far they all look healthy, but today one of them died :sad: So I was just wondering, is it normal to lose a few fry? Do you personally lose a couple of fry per batch or not?

:) :dunno:

Thanks guys

I seldom see a fry that is lost but I know that a drop of around 30 often has a head count of around 26 to 28 by the time they are large juveniles at 3 cm long. I never really take the time to try to count them all right after a drop so I am never sure if I was just optimistic or I lost a couple.
BTW, I had a recent drop in my green goodeid tank, Xenoophorus captivus - Jesus Maria. This is one of the fry captured after feeding tonight. It might possibly be 2 days old but is over 1.5cm. I also captured a juvenile in that picture.
greenfrynjuvy800.jpg

Only one of my fry died as at birth it could not swim. Other than that, there were no deaths from 3 drops.

I lost a few but it was due to lack of oxygen and a ph drop.

Long ago I used to gather about 20+ fry in a smaller tank but since I had no filtration, I lost a lot. Barely kept 10 guppy fry alive once as a record (usually had only 5 survivors) and 3 swordie fry (which reached juvenile stats but then jumped out of the tank and died).

Now I only saved 5 swordtail fry, gave up 1 cause it had a very bent tail... and then 2 died due to either overfeeding or some other problem, can't blame the filtration this time as they are technically in main tank but in a net. They died within the first 2 weeks.

Now I'm left with 2 and they seem to be ok. They're in their 3rd week.

I lost most of mine to ich :( I had 22 fry from 2 drops a week apart, I have 10 left from the first 2 drops.

Oldman-congrats on the fry :) thats a great photo, I have never seen ones like that before :)

What are you feeding your fry? They may not be getting a proper diet. When I had my Platy fry, I always lost some. Don't know why, fed them the best food.

What are you feeding your fry? They may not be getting a proper diet. When I had my Platy fry, I always lost some. Don't know why, fed them the best food.
Could be something related to their genes and how their body adapts to the changes.
Mine died when their colors started to show.
Other two that survived that stage are now much more colorful.

Or it could be that they got gill flukes or they didn't adapt to the food or something. I heard that gill flukes can be fatal to fry.

I've had mollies give birth to a couple not fully formed babies as well as ones with spine deformities but it's usually only a couple per drop.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back