Is It Just Me?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wasnt?
didnt?

something wrong there. :D

Didn't short for 'Did not' and wasn't short for 'Was not' both need apostrophes where the letters are missed out.

lordy, it's like i walked in on an English Professor Convention. next thing I know there's going to be a horrible schism over which is better: the original dictionary or one of the next generation versions.

all the stories i know that can teach people about Mr. Period and the Bad Boys of Punctuation aren't family-friendly... :p

i personally don't care much about people's poor spelling/grammar until it reaches the point of incomprehensibilty.

Hey have some news everyone on spelling and the "English language simplification agreement" just in case anyone is still interested :D ;

"The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been
reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European
communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English
spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased
plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for
short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,
sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters
kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like
"fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to
reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments
will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have
always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible
mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by
"z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining
"ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of
leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor
trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it izi tu understand ich ozer.

Ze drim vil finali kum tru!"

:p

In George Orwell's novel '1984' he predicted 'newspeak' the simplification of language in order to reduce the public's capability for expressive thought and literature.

hvn hlp us, its cming tru.

I don't have a problem with spelling mistakes caused by poor education, dyslexia or English not being the first language.

I do have a problem with bad spelling 'cuz its kool'

It's not cool. It makes you look like an idiot and no one in the real world will ever take you seriously.

Bad habits learned take a lot of unlearning. When you come to do your final 30000 word dissertation at university just imagine how much easier it would be if the spelling, punctuation and grammar come naturally and you don't have to concentrate to not put OMG LOLZORZ!!1!!!! at the end of every sentence.

What would the world be like without tyops. words with wrong speling, and 1337 chat huh?

im terrible.. nearly every post you see made by me will have an " This post has been edited by Squid: Today, 04:53 PM" on it somewhere.. as i always seem to spot the mistakes after i post it.. thats the problem with using fast reply and not the proper one, with preview post ;)

BTW.. sorry to the person who hates... this... guilty as charged...

Squid

I understand that text speak is necessary in text messages, because there's not enough space more than anything else.

But it does irritate me a lot when people use it in posts. How do they expect those that do not speak English as a first language to understand?

I think it's rude but I have no objections to bad spelling in general. Especially seeing as I can't spell words with double letters like 'occassionnally' properly.

Which letters are supposed to be doubled??!
:S

Most reactions

Back