Is Co2 easy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It sure hasn't slowed the snail population in my tank. I bought 12 nerite snails - which shouldn't reproduce in fresh water. Now I have the absolute worst snail problem (these are lazy snails that don't even try to eat algae) and I was never impressed with the nerites either - they did nothing to reduce the algae population. I'm pulling about 30-40 snails out of this tank (of all sizes) each day. Now I just ordered a couple of snail eating fish and some algae eating fish and see if I can control the problems that way. I think that most of the snails were just tag-alongs on my many plants - which were washed and washed - but about 2 weeks after the plant is in the tank I get a large snail population born so I think there are some invisible eggs on the plants. I wish the copper would take care of the snails but even though I didn't know about that - I've seen no decrease in the number of snails in my tanks.

Also skip the co2 kits - it's not going to help. You can get some plants that grow much, much faster than the pretty little ones you have. I've got some with little pink flowers (see ebay) that are just growing beautifully to the point I have to trim some back - I let them grow long enough to float on the water for fish that like to hide in floating plants but I still have to trim them back once in a while - I've actually had fish get tangled in them so I keep them under control. I went from a tank like yours to a way (almost overgrown) number of plants in just a couple of months. Also - get rid of that spikey plant - they are a menace to filters - I had 2 of these plants and they constantly clogged up my filter - they go through shedding stages and it is a MESS. And the little spikes float all over your tank and are ridiculously difficult to remove because they are so light weight.

Last edited:
I use flourish comprehensive in tanks with shrimps and nerite snails with no problems. However, because my plants are all slow growing (with the exception of water sprite) I use it at half dose. And I don't use CO2.

The spikey plants that Jan Cavalieri mentions - is that the stems at the back which look a bit like hornwort? I used to have that in my main tank but it grew so fast and tangled with the water sprite that I finally decided it had to go. The only time mine dropped leaves was in my old 54 litre tank after I put a rock in the tank. The rock came from the LFS so I assumed it would be OK but it turned the water cloudy overnight, which the hornwort did not like. Luckily, the rock did not harm any fish, and it ended up on the windowsill with air plants attached to it

I stay away from hornwort now. It dropped needles and made an awful mess of my tanks and got all in the filter. Only pond fish can have it now.

I thought you could safely grow HornWort in a tank! o_O

I thought you could safely grow HornWort in a tank! o_O
You can.

If you plan on getting Hornwort, then buy it in warm weather. The plant is grown in ponds and if you buy it in cold weather and then put it in a tropical tank, the plant sheds its leaves and dies. If you get it from warm water (in late spring, through summer and early autumn), it tolerates being put into a warm water aquarium and settles in quite well.

You should also watch the pH because it can fall apart in really acid water.

----------------------
Hornwort normally comes from ponds and is regularly infested with Hydra, snails and planaria. It can also have dragonfly larvae living on it. You should always quarantine this plant for a month before adding it to a tank to prevent these things getting into the main aquarium.

Is it sold as an aquarium plant, or an outdoor plant? :)

I bought it as an aquarium plant (from a UK Ebay seller who guaranteed his plants to be shrimp safe)

It depends how cold the ponds get. In the UK in some winters get very cold. I know someone who lost all her pond fish due to the cold weather a few years ago.

Most reactions

trending

Back