Is A Rusting Nail Going To Harm My Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RossC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
OK a quick question I have used a small nail to attach a suction cup to a piece of bogwood. I didn't realise until another post in the forum that the nail is likely to rust but I need to know if it's going to harm my fish? It is only a very small nail and the tank is planted. A quick answer is appreciated so I can remove it if I need to before damage is done.
Thanks

I am not sure to be honest how ever most guides suggest when using screws nails etc its best to use stainless steel screws. So I imagine that is for a reason?

Wills

I've used things that rusted before in a tank without issue, namely home made veggie clips with a steel clamp that I didn't think would rust so quickly. I don't do plants, but I do believe iron is one of the things included in plant ferts, may be wrong though.

I've had screws and things rust before in small tanks with no ill effects. I usually removed them once I noticed the rust.

OK a quick question I have used a small nail to attach a suction cup to a piece of bogwood. I didn't realise until another post in the forum that the nail is likely to rust but I need to know if it's going to harm my fish? It is only a very small nail and the tank is planted. A quick answer is appreciated so I can remove it if I need to before damage is done.
Thanks

No it's not. See the thread "soaking wood"

I've used things that rusted before in a tank without issue, namely home made veggie clips with a steel clamp that I didn't think would rust so quickly. I don't do plants, but I do believe iron is one of the things included in plant ferts, may be wrong though.

Iron is dosed in planted tanks, and often.

Iron is dosed in planted tanks, and often.
Thanks everyone I just wanted to double check with a larger number of opinions, as ShineySideUp mentioned above it relates to a discussion I had earlier on here

Your rusting ail will add some iron to the water. Other than that I can see no effect. Since plant people will often add a substrate that enhances iron concentrations, I doubt it will have any adverse effects.

Thanks for all the replies, seen as All my tanks are planted I'll leave them in they're only really small so I can't see them causing any problems :shifty:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back