Is a 123l (32.5 gallons) tank fine for a 3rd floor bedroom?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nathanm

Reaction score
It's the Fluval flex which is quite long and i plan on getting the official stand so that should help. I'm also in England if that makes a difference

Yes, should be fine assuming you put it against a load-bearing wall. If you can jump on the space you want to put the tank without the floor feeling like it'll give out, it should be okay.

A permanent load and jumping on the floor are not comparable. My advice would be to ensure the weight of the tank is spread across two joists if your flooring is not concrete. Unless there are any structural engineers on here who are prepared to visit your house no one can give you a 100% answer on this question. In a typical house that is in good condition (no dry rot etc) a tank of this size *shouldn't* cause issues if the load is adequately spread.

If you lift up your carpet you should be able to see where the floor boards are nailed to the joists. Standard building regs state joists must be spaced 400, 450 or 600mm between centres in the UK. If you can't see any nails you could knock on the wood and listen put for a fuller pitch, this less scientific method should allow you to find your joists

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back