Iodine In Our Marine And Nano Tanks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
For some reason, I decided to buy a SeaChem Iodide test kit. It was cheap, only $9.00 and wherever you turn, all you read is "will require correct levels of iodine in the water to promote proper molting".....etc, etc. OK, OK. So I bought a test kit. To my surprise, my iodide levels were undetectable. Not only that, has anyone here ever tried to read a SeaChem test kit's color chart and match it against the sample? Trust me! It's not easy my fellow nano reefer.

Anyway, I dutifully ran off to the local 'Pet' place and bought an iodide/iodine supplement. I started dosing and was having trouble reading my color chart in the SeaChem kit. I researched it and, well, uh, let's just say...uh...maybe Salifert's was better. I suddenly realized that I may not have done my homework well. Hence, this 'I hope it helps' thread:

Iodine

Some quick notes. Iodine is the element I. In it's elemental form it usually exists as I2. In the ocean, iodine exists predominantly in two forms, I- (iodide) and IO3- (iodate). In the ocean, the predominate form is iodate. All can interconvert. Some equipment used in marine tanks, such as a UV sterilizer, might help convert iodide to iodate. Average ocean levels are 0.06ppm.

Who Needs It

1) Macroalgae, particularly red forms (Rhodophyta) love it and prefer the iodide form
2) Gorgonia and black corals
3) Tunicates and sponges
4) Soft corals, xenia and shrimp (but no studies prove that they actually need it despite it being found in their substance in high levels)

What Forms Does it Come In?

1) Lugol's solution, a mixture of I2 and I-; commonly used as an antiseptic; can reach toxic levels if dosed inappropriately

2) Supplement solutions, usually contain iodide and iodate (potassium iodide)

3) Present in marine fish food: red Gracilaria, Formula foods from Ocean Nutrition

How Do I Test My Water

Test kits, obviously. The two most popular are Seachem and Salifert.

1) The SeaChem Test kit measures iodide ONLY and may underestimate the total amount of iodine present. Determining the blue color on the color chart is not easy.

2) Salifert's kit tests all three, iodine, iodide and iodate. Kits are pricey.

The Ins and Outs of Iodine in My Nano

1) The bulk of iodine that gets into your nano tank comes from food added, especially foods that contain algae. Foods containing red macroalgae are particularly high

2) The amounts of iodine in our sea salt mixes vary and are usually taken up from the tank water and depleted rather quickly

3) Supplements

Pitfalls

If you decide to dose your tank with iodine/iodide based on the most common marine aquarium test kits, one must be aware of the following:

1) Test kits are not easy to use/read and have large margins of error
2) Not all kits test for all three components of iodine and, therefore, may underestimate the total iodine in a tank. In addtion, the three components of iodine are always in a state of flux
3) No one knows for sure what the true benefits are of maintaining NSW levels of iodine in one's tank since there are no definitive studies.
4) The best way of knowing what to dose your tank is to know the rate of depletion, which, for the average aquarist is extremely difficult

OK, So, What Do the Experts Recommend?

I would strongly advise people to not try to maintain 0.06 ppm iodine using supplementation and a test kit.

Why you ask? Isn’t that what we do for most other chemicals of interest? Well, if we could easily and accurately determine the concentrations of the different forms of iodine in aquaria, then I would recommend doing just that. However, if you combine the complexities of having multiple iodine species present with the uncertainty of having hobbyists use very complex test kits that may readily yield incorrect or difficult to interpret results, the stage is set for people driving their total iodine to levels far from what they actually intended.
-RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY

I think the best comment is:
Don't put in what you don't test for.

Most of this was gleaned from an article by Mr. Holmes-Farley. The decision on whether to dose your tank is a personal one and this thread was meant to assist in decision making, not to say what to do one way or another. I didn't find a lot of strong arguments to dose, tho', many marine aquarists owning 'tanks of the month on various websites DO dose their tanks. Feel free to comment, criticize, kudos or boo. Also, feel free to post any good links supportive of iodine dosing. " I hope this helped." SH

Most reactions

Back