Introduction and question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ana-Luiza

Reaction score
Introduction and question!:banana:

Hello all! Thank you for creating this great space. Iā€™m new here.
Just found the forum while googling info to take care of my new tank.
I found 3 fries in my tank a few weeks back. And the guppy I think was the mom died shortly.
Iā€™m new to the hobbie, and didnā€™t even know guppies had babies, so I had to rush to the store to get a nursery and learning how to care for them.
Now that Iā€™m a bit more educated, I think my other guppy may be pregnant as well but Iā€™m not sure! By the photo Iā€™ve attached, do you guys think sheā€™s pregnant? Should I put her in a nursery?
Still a lot to learn, any help would be very much appreciated šŸ’œ
Many thanks in advance!
Ana
C9675BD8-E08C-4EC8-9024-24B3658680D5.jpeg

Ohh, just as I thought.
Thank you!
And yes, Iā€™ve noticed the spine when I got home from the store. It wasnā€™t until later when I was reading about it , I learned it wasnā€™t supposed to be like this . Such a shame. :(
Yes, she's pregnant. What a shame of her bend spine.

Introduction and question!:banana:

Hello all! Thank you for creating this great space. Iā€™m new here.
Just found the forum while googling info to take care of my new tank.
I found 3 fries in my tank a few weeks back. And the guppy I think was the mom died shortly.
Iā€™m new to the hobbie, and didnā€™t even know guppies had babies, so I had to rush to the store to get a nursery and learning how to care for them.
Now that Iā€™m a bit more educated, I think my other guppy may be pregnant as well but Iā€™m not sure! By the photo Iā€™ve attached, do you guys think sheā€™s pregnant? Should I put her in a nursery?
Still a lot to learn, any help would be very much appreciated šŸ’œ
Many thanks in advance!
AnaView attachment 306948
Yes, yes she is. You can tell wether or not female guppies are pregant by 2 things : round belly and enlarged gravid spot

Thank you for your help.
Should I put her in a nursery already?
Yes, I would. I currently have 3 pregnant females in my nursery. The belly is pretty inflated so she's probably going to give birth soon. Have you got babies in the nursery? If so, put a divider so that she don't eat those.

You should definitely separate the fries from these bigger fish once they are born. Guppies are known to gobble down their own children

The term 'nursery' means different things to different people.

Some mean one of those tiny boxes with a section for the fry to escape to; others mean a separate tank where the female can give birth in peace without being pestered by tank mates.

The tiny boxes are very stressful for a gravid female, and the best way to use these is to let her give birth in the tank then catch the fry and place them in the box.
With the separate tank, care should be taken when moving the female so as not to damage her. Keeping the net in a container of water during the transfer stops the fry inside the mother being squashed against the net.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back