Interspecies "friendships" - Heart Warming!

Brette

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Has anyone else been really pleased to see friendships develop between 2 species of fish? I have a blue ram and a checkerboard cichlid that seem to have bonded. They went through hell together last week when my aquarium had a columnaris outbreak and now they look like 2 old war buddies following each other around the new tank, enjoying each others company. When one picks at the gravel, so does the other. When the other swims around the upper levels, up goes the other with him. It's very endearing!

Has anyone else had this?
 
Awww bless - sounds so cute!

The only strange fish relationship I've had in my tanks was between my extra large female guppy and a rainbow shark. They were the only two fish in a 2ft tank for quite a few weeks (I had to do a fish-in cycle which wasn't intended but ended up that way on that tank due to necessity of rescuing the female from a bunch of harrassing-to-the-point-of-death males - and the rainbow shark was being a very bad boy, constantly attacking everything that moved).

Anyway, in went the guppy first, all on her lonesome, then the rainbow shark a couple of weeks later. They followed each other around the tank like best buddies LOL - even when they were resting they'd be close to each other. Really, weird!!

But once the tank was fully cycled and I slowly added new fish, the rainbow started up his old bullying tricks again - so I had to move him to yet another tank. He's now in a 3ft tank with just two pink convicts - and no they are not friends but he stays mostly one end of the tank and the convicts, well, they own the whole bloomin' tank as far as they're concerned! Rainbow is just their lodger and wouldn't dare mess with the convicts LOL

Felt a bit guilty for splitting up the Rainbow and Guppy friendship, though :sad:

Athena
 
No friendships, but I do have a pair of guppies that just stay together! I actually have three guppies, one male, two females. I bought the second so the male wouldn't bother the first as much, but for some reason, he stays with her anyway.
 
my silver shark seems to be in the tiger barb 'gang' has been since day one bless him, he follows them everywhere. :good:
 
I have a lone golden killifish, a fish that doesnt need to be in groups but some enjoy it. I also have an American flagfish which is from the same family of fish but completely different shape and look. Sometimes the killifish will go side to side with the flagfish and follow it like that for a second or two and I am thinking maybe my killi is trying to breed (or maybe not as they are both males).
 
Awww bless - sounds so cute!

The only strange fish relationship I've had in my tanks was between my extra large female guppy and a rainbow shark. They were the only two fish in a 2ft tank for quite a few weeks (I had to do a fish-in cycle which wasn't intended but ended up that way on that tank due to necessity of rescuing the female from a bunch of harrassing-to-the-point-of-death males - and the rainbow shark was being a very bad boy, constantly attacking everything that moved).

Anyway, in went the guppy first, all on her lonesome, then the rainbow shark a couple of weeks later. They followed each other around the tank like best buddies LOL - even when they were resting they'd be close to each other. Really, weird!!

But once the tank was fully cycled and I slowly added new fish, the rainbow started up his old bullying tricks again - so I had to move him to yet another tank. He's now in a 3ft tank with just two pink convicts - and no they are not friends but he stays mostly one end of the tank and the convicts, well, they own the whole bloomin' tank as far as they're concerned! Rainbow is just their lodger and wouldn't dare mess with the convicts LOL

Felt a bit guilty for splitting up the Rainbow and Guppy friendship, though :sad:

Athena
huh. thats weird you had a rainbow shark and a guppy, i have a rainbow shark that hangs out (and does every thing)with a rapheals catfish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top