Injured Swordtail

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I believe my swordtail has sustained an injury from my Chinese Algae Eater. Ever since I moved my pregnant platy to her own aquarium the swordtail has become almost entranced by the CAE. He'll swim around his house and poke his head inside and sometimes I think he may be displaying to him (which is weird because I don't think they can interbreed, but maybe I'm wrong). The algae eater does not take it well, often times he will go after the swordtail and chase him away. In one of these scenarios, he caught up to him and got his mouth on this body. This was about 3 days ago. As I was watching him today it seems as if a couple of his scales are injured and seem to be hanging off. Here is a picture and a video(it's that brown thing on his back)
Screenshot_20201114-193444.png

Bummer! Chinese algae eaters are known to get aggressive as they get bigger. It may kill your swordtail (or vise versa). I prefer Siamese algae eaters or bristlenose plecos. Weird that the swordtail is displaying, perhaps it feels threatened.

When he was displaying he looked kind of panicked so you may be right about him feeling threatened.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back