Infra red thermometer

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Today I bought this infra red thermometer. It was meant for myself. But it works also perfectly for tanks from what I've noticed. And it only cost €12,89.
328240181_1364441067691426_593697374195081353_n.jpg
At the relevant events, they cost a lot more overhere.

Is there any way to calibrate IR thermometers like this one?

I use an infrared thermometre for all my tanks. I point at the surface, and get a good reading. I cross reference with quality digital thermometres I have in 2 tanks, and all read the same.

Mine is a hardware store one. It's the third I've owned, as the previous two were made so changing the batteries was destructive. This one is solid and should last more than 5 years.

Mine is a hardware store one. It's the third I've owned, as the previous two were made so changing the batteries was destructive. This one is solid and should last more than 5 years.
I had the same problem with the batteries and trashed the thing. What brand do you have? I need one.

Used to have one of these for my tanks, made water changes a lot easier and helped if I wasn’t sure if a heater was working correctly

Mine, from CT, is not something i'd depend on for accurate or percise measurements. The reading is always off by 1 degree F between measurements. Really annoyed me when trying to dial in a heater temp.

Still useful though

Last edited:
I use one at work all the time, surprisingly I have never used it to check my tanks.

Why?
I have a bunch of tanks, and would need a truckload of mercury thermometres, most of which would give the wrong temp anyway. I can remember taking a good guess at the temperature in a store, then seeing which thermometres were close. There was that trick of seeing if you could find three of them with the same temp, since those ones might be accurate. We had some weak tech in this hobby.

They were more reliable than putting your elbow in the water.

I have some old clip on heaters in a drawer somewhere. It's a wonder we didn't all die from electrocution. The little plastic screws that held them on to the rim are flimsy.

Tech used for the good of fishkeeping humanity is fine in my books, although my paper books are obsolete...

This technological high tech machine world is not slowing down. Good grief do people even use plain old mercury thermometers anymore ?
I still have them. But just like Gary, I'm maintaining multiple tanks which makes this easier to use.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back