Info on Spiny Eels

Gibbo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Heres info on Asian Spiny Eels such as Tire Tracks, Fire, Peacocks etc.

Water perameters; pH 6.5 - 8 generally, but neutral to slightly hard preferable. Most species seem to do better in slightly brackish conditions, but if water is on hard side they should be OK. Water quality should be excellent however, they can be very susceptable to bacterial infections. External filtration recommended for larger fish.

Tank layout/size; Some Eels, such as Peacocks, only grow to little over 12", so will be fine in 2-3ft tanks. Whereas Tyre Tracks and Fire Eels can eventually get to 1 meter in length so when mature they will need bigger tanks (5ft +) with a tight fitting lid. They are real escape artists! Provide plenty of hiding places such as plastic drainpipe, bogwood and rock for security. Make sure these are secured however, as stated previously they love to burrow and big Eels can dislodge decor easily! Use sand or very fine, smooth gravel as subtrate to prevent injury and infection. If possible real or false plants should be added in dense thickets in a couple of areas, again for security. You will see your Eel more often during the day under these conditions.

Tankmates; Anything not too agressive! Barbs, both small and large (Tinfoils, Spanners, Bala's etc), larger Rainbows and non agressive catfish are ideal. Some larger Eels will take small fish/fry, so bear this in mind when stocking. I have a pair of Peacock Spiny Eels in a 48"x18"x18" tank with a pair of Paratilapia Pollini 'Big Spot' Cichlids and 3 young Synodontis Notatus catfish. The cichlids can be territorial and agressive at times but don't bother the Eels much. They'll occasionally chase them off but there are many hiding places provided in the tank and they seem very happy! The cichlids aren't even half grown yet so obviously the Eels will be moved eventually.

Feeding; Small Eels relish bloodworm and brineshrimp (preferably frozen) and small earthworms. Larger Eels like larger earthworms!! Also frozen prawn and cockle and mysis shrimp are taken, but Earthworms are eaten with real gusto and, once the Eels are used to their owner, can be fed by hand.

When buying your Eel check that it has no injuries or slimy skin/spots as this is a sure sign of illness/stress. If visible ie. not hiding! the Eel should seem alert, exploring all areas of the dealers tank and its tank mates... If buying a larger Eel check that it has good 'girth', for example, if buying an 18" Fire Eel it should be approx 1.5"-2" thick. 30" Fire Eels can be up to 4" thick!

Any other Q's post 'em here

;)

thanks gibbo for all the infdo, hoping to get 1 next week , my lfs has orderd some in, oooo can't wait, :thumbs:

Do you know what species? (At the price you mentioned B4, sound like Peacocks, gr8 fish!). :fun:

no i dont no which species, think it depends which ones are available to my lfs, am calling in tomorow hopefuly he'll be able to tell me more, as it was last thursday i spoke to him, just wonderd will they take the freeze dried
tubiflex worms or will they only eat live worms, cause i realy want to get every thing right, oh and my substrate is gravel should i put in some aquatic sand ready for him lol or her, :lol:

Preferably put in some sand, and food wise, try frozen bloodworm and daphnia. Put the sand under and near where he/she will (possibly) hide... keep us posted :)

called in my lfs today, he's orderd the eels but won't be in untill next monday, ughhhh, so i've got to wait, the ones he's having in are the
fire eels, have'nt seen these ones before, :)

Fire Eels get BIG!! 39"+ in the wild, 20"+ in captivity... and I'll be amazed if they sell them for the price you quoted a few days ago... my lfs sell 18"+ specimens for £60-80 ea.! I should check again because Fire Eels, whilst being truly stunning and charasmatic fish, need bigger quarters.... idealy 5ft tank for adult. :unsure:

one of my locals has tyre track eels, very cool looking about 10 inches i guess at £18 each

yes i'll check because he defanately said fire eels, he did say they were a bit more than the spinny ext, but how much £60-80 sheesh, will call in tomorow, getting some more plants from him so i'll ask there price,
well my tanks 4ft long so humm, i do intend hopefuly soon to get a 6ft tank,
because my bala sharks are getting realy big now and they need a bigger tank, thanks again gibbo, i'll keep you informed :thumbs:

If they are smaller then obviously they'll be cheaper. If you're looking to upgrade then I'm sure It'll do great for a while in 4 footer... You will absolutely :wub: LOVE :wub: him/her when you get them... I cannot explain how really cool these fish are. Given time and a little bit of patience they'll be like a member of the family, and large Balas make perfect tank mates!!

Heres a piccy:

Aquazoo - Fire Eel

:fun:

BTW Don't take any notice of the 'agressive when older' codswallop in this link... given enough space It'll mind its own business and may even mix with another large Eel such as the Tyre Track Cry mentioned, they get to a similar size.

Start worm hunting now. Get hanging basket moss in a tupperware tub, keep damp and place any captured worms in there for 24 hours before feeding to fish - this is enough time for them to empty their 'gut'. :-( :sick: :hyper:

Good Luck :)

Ps. Thought of any names yet?

ah man he's gorgeous, woooo i :wub: them, can't wait, and thanks again for all your info, :thumbs: humm now a name shall have to think about that
lol :lol: i could put a thread up asking peeps for good names lol :lol:

hi gibbo, the fish order came in last night but ughhhh no eels, i've got to wait till tuesday now, the only eels available to him are the tyre track,
a bit dissapointed, but as long as i get one well i'll be happy, :)

just had a look at the link you gave me, found the tyre track eels, yes i like them :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back