Increased water pH shenanigans continues unabated

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The first two tanks have algae issues I would clean up. As for the tests, if you have the high range pH regent I would test with that for the water that is at 7.6 which is the highest level for the regular test. This will indicate if it is actually higher than 7.6.
Ok, here are the high range test results for those. Yeah, the algae in the quarantine tank will be taken care of when I disband it in a couple of weeks.

I let the algae grow in the 29g tank because I want it there for the ottos until they're established in it. I tried unsuccessfully to make "green rocks" for them. Out of the 3 I bought only one survived so rhe tank is up to 2 ottos. I know I've mentioned I don't plan on adding more fish to this tank until I move up to 55g... but I'll actually bring the ottos up to 6. I meant no new species, I want those ottos to be a happy bunch.

Attachments

• 20220725_122507.jpg
    20220725_122507.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220725_122245.jpg
    20220725_122245.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 21
How do freshwater fresh manage to survive in a tank with a pH of 9? I'm not being smart; can someone enlighten me please. It makes no sense in my brain

If the pH changes gradually, fish can live in a higher pH than nature intended. It means to move fish from a store at 7, to a pond at 9, some time in a stock tank with aeration being gradually brought up to the local pH. Over a period of days. I wouldn't try otocinclus at 9, but I've done it with koi and goldfish because that's my job. My local pH is 8. I know people that have bred discus at a pH of 8. It is a matter of very slow adjustments to the pH.

PH is part of why I don't know that I will ever do the huge weekly water changes suggested on this site on some of my tanks. Biweekly, or a little smaller, but we have a drought and our pH is going up. Nitrates may be dangerous but a pH of 9 is more dangerous.

I use a Wide Range pH test by API. Saves having to mess with 2 kits.
I do own a DI unit, it's around here somewhere, wastes less water than an RO although cartridges are high. Haven't used it since I gave up the reef.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back