Increase SG in QT tank question to treat ICH

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I come from a Marine (reef) background.

I was doing some research on treating F/W fish with ICH by raising the SG (adding salt|), which advised in this F/W hobby, helps by killing IT.

So, my question, "Why does ICH continue to be a problem in salt water Marine tank, when salt kills it?"

Asking just to expand my understanding.

Thanks in advance.

ATB

Tets

salt (sodium chloride) doesn't kill white spot.

a small amount of salt in the fresh water can sometimes help fish breath a little better, and the salt helps reduce the chance of infections developing where the white spot parasites have attached to the fish.

Thanks Colin,
So, if you see white spot on the wish, this does not mean that infection has developed ? If so why do we treat it as soon as the W/S is seen ?

Just a little confused as you can tell, so be gentle with me.

Thanks,

Tets

The white spot parasite has several stages to its lifecycle.
1) There is a free swimming stage where the parasite is looking for a host fish to attach to. It can only be killed at this stage, before it attaches to a fish.

2) There is the white dots on the fish where the parasite is feeding off the fish and growing inside the white dot. It cannot be killed at this stage.

3) The next stage is where the white dots fall off the fish and the parasite is multiplying inside the white cyst, which is usually sitting on the bottom of the tank. The parasite cannot be killed at this stage either.

When the parasite falls off the fish, it leaves a small wound where it was attached. These wounds can sometimes get infected, especially if the water and tank is not clean (from regular water changes, gravel cleaning and filter cleaning). The salt can kill a lot of disease organisms (bacteria, fungus and some protozoans) in the water and reduce the chance of these small wounds getting infected.

The following link is about white spot. Post #1 and Post #16 are worth a read.

Much appreciated, clears my confusion up.

Thank you

ATB

Tets

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back