Inbreeding Fish?

angelfishguy

Fish Addict
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
922
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
ireland(wex)
id imagine in most lfs's that if you buy a few of the same type of fish at the same time that they would mostly like be brother and sister etc
if they breed on you would they be deformed or is it ok for fish to inbreed??
just wondering
thanks
jay.
 
some fish have been inbreed for over 30 years with no new blood and their fine.

If you breed from poor stock though, your be me incline to enhance bad trates.
So it all depends on the breeder. Good fish with good selection will resualt in good quality fish.
 
My guppies & platies all started out with about 2 males and 5 females...... Today, I have thousands from this original stocking (10years later - at least) with no i'll effect..... in fact, I think all the best traits in their genes survived.... I have extremely hardy fish.... but I won't vouch that this is applicable to all fish...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top