In The Near Futire Will All Fish In The Trade Be Bred From Private Bre

Liam50

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Rye, East Sussex
hi
i'm just curious if ever the fish trade will be solely supported by people like us or fish farms. now i know majority of fish in the trade come from farms, but i feel really mean when i see "wild caught" next to a fish in a tank at the lfs. i don't think its morally right to go around picking up animals whether it be dogs, cats, bird or fish from the wild and then put it in a tiny enclosure to what its used too. I hope that all people on this forum should say NO wild caught fish and not purchase them.

this is me just being a bit hippy but i feel strongly about it.
 
Wild caught fish are usually healthier and better quality than farmed fish (ime 90%+ of the time)

most intensely farmed fish have poor health, colour, form and are poor breeders.

I would nearly always buy wilds of f1's given the choice.
 
So it's OK to enclose captive bred fish in (comparatively) tiny containers because 'they're used to it'? Seems somewhat hippocritical, especially since fish farms still use very large enclosures to keep and breed fish. However, on the flip side of the space arguement, captive fish are also well fed and have no predators.
 
well, while i agree that wild caught fish shouldn't be sold too much, there are upsides. fisrtly, some wild fish are caught from areas being destroyed for example by logging and are in effect saved.
some are caught for breeding and then reintroduced
also, when fish are caught for the aquarium trade, it dicourages local people from fishing by destructive methods for income, and also prevents them being caught as by products for food fishing and the numbers of wild caught fish are relatively small in single areas.

however, i do think it is necessary for species like red torpedo barbs to be overfished - it's unnessesary when they can be tank bred and also, i personally don't think they're that great - especially when they go to people who don't lookafter them well.
 
Wild stock gives existing breeders new blood. This works out for the better in 2 ways:
1. New blood will restore the wild coloration to your line.
2. New blood drasticailly reduce your cull numbers.


It's sad for the poor wild fish, but great for the hobby.
 
At the end of the day nothing should be kept as a pet, but we can and we always will....My channa ornatipinnis are wild caughts, However i do not go round

looking for wild caught's but if i came across them i would buy them, thing is as stated its fresh blood and no chance of diformalitys as nature culls in the

wild...agreed fish should not be over caught but nature has plenty to offer and if taken responsabally nothing should be affected,but which they have done

they should ban catching round breeding time giving them a chance to replenish, fish get eaten by other fish or other animals...That is a reason they breed into the 100's sometimes 1000's
 
i'm just curious if ever the fish trade will be solely supported by people like us or fish farms.
Probably not, for reasons including those mentioned above. For myself, I prefer to keep (and breed, if I can) the more unusual fish, and these simply aren't available as captive bred livestock.
now i know majority of fish in the trade come from farms, but i feel really mean when i see "wild caught" next to a fish in a tank at the lfs.
On the freshwater side of the hobby, by far the majority of stock is captive-bred; probably something like 95+ percent. This is because the vast bulk of expenditure is on mass-produced, low-value fish: goldfish, neons, guppies, and so on that are produced to a price that people are willing to pay.
i don't think its morally right to go around picking up animals whether it be dogs, cats, bird or fish from the wild and then put it in a tiny enclosure to what its used too.
This can be argued both ways. It is admittedly true that keeping a fish in an unreasonably small enclosure without proper outlets for its normal social behaviours is unfair. But most cruelty of this type is done with farmed fish: goldfish for example, which are routinely kept in tanks that are much too small, or singly, so that their natural schooling instinct is denied. Likewise neons kept in groups of less than ten, bettas kept in jars, Corydoras kept singly, and so on. Just because they were bred doesn't mean their natural behaviours have been reduced any. My ancestors left the plains of Africa some half-million years ago, but my body requires exactly the same amount of exercise, food, and warmth now as then.

Furthermore, I'd argue in some cases captive-breeding has introduced a level of cruelty that doesn't exist where wild-caught fish are concerned. Fancy bettas with their long fins can barely swim compared to their wild ancestors, effectively crippling them just so they look pretty to the eyes of some aquarists. Likewise goldfish with fancy fins, bubble eyes, distorted bodies and so on are all weaker than their standard goldfish are more prone to health problems such as finrot (under icy conditions) and swim bladder disorders (if they don't eat enough fibre). Fancy guppies are demonstrably less hardy than wild guppies, lab work clearly showing they've lost the ability to adapt to living in seawater, indicating weaker physiological systems; interestingly, feeder guppies adapt to seawater just fine, demonstrating there's a genetic component here that's remedied when the guppies are not selectively bred for colours or longer fins. Albino Corydoras are likely to be more prone to blindness, "butterfly" discus don't have tail fins, parrot cichlids have deformed backs, and so on. There are plenty of examples of tank-bred fish that live poorer lives than the wild-caught equivalents just because breeders have focused on some superficial trait rather than their overall hardiness or strength.
I hope that all people on this forum should say NO wild caught fish and not purchase them.
I would agree that people should purchase fish that they can properly house and look after. Whether they are wild-caught or tank-bred is really not an issue in my opinion, unless a given wild-caught species simply cannot be maintained in captivity. The classic example would be a marine fish called a blue ribbon eel. It's mortality rate in captivity has been estimated by Bob Fenner to be over 90% within the first month!

On the other hand, trade in wild-caught fish can have strong positive benefits, if properly regulated. Wild-caught fish can ear hard currency for people living in the tropics, and if that fishery is to survive in the long term, local people have a vested interest in keeping their river or coastline healthy. In a few cases, overfishing for the aquarium trade may be a major pressure on wild populations -- the most hotly debated example of this at the moment is probably the Banggai cardinalfish -- but for the most part collecting live fish is a trivial issue next to climate change, commercial (food) fishing, trawling, dam building, hydroelectric plants, logging, urban development, and so on. Finally, there are notable cases where fish kept as pets are the only examples of their species alive today; for a variety of reasons, though never collecting for the ornamental fish trade, some species have gone extinct in the wild. The famous example is the red-tailed black shark.
this is me just being a bit hippy but i feel strongly about it.
Nothing wrong with being "green", but it is always important to put gut feelings into their full scientific context. In this case, the issues of whether a fish is wild-caught or captive-bred is not really relevant either way. What does matter is people buy fish from responsible collectors (e.g., not from Southeast Asian coral reef divers in countries where cyanide is used); that they research the needs of a fish prior to purchase; that they don't buy hybrids; and that they don't release unwanted fish into the wild.

Cheers, Neale
 
I am very simple minded. So no offense to anyone here. But I have to ask... Do you really think the fish know they are not in a river or stream anymore? Do you think they swim there thinking, "man this aquarium sucks, I wish I was back in the Nile with my buddies." C'mon a fish doesn't think, it only reacts. It has no feelings of its enviorment. It doesn't think your aquarium is better than any other aquarium or river or stream, or lake for that matter. Of course if the conditions are bad, ie ammonia, predators, aggresive fin nipping tankmates, all that equates to a terrible existance. But non the less it doesn't "know" that it is getting short changed, so to speak. It isn't jealous of Jane Doe's 300 gallon tank while it's living in a 5 gallon nano tank.

Now I say this because some people take things to the extreme. I for one have been uber caring for my fish. I change water all the time. I do tests almost everysingle day. I do not want any fish to suffer. But I also realize that the fish doesn't have a clue wether it is in a 60 gallon tank or the Amazon river. It just reacts to it's enviorment.

Again no offense to anyone. Just know that you are providing the best enviorment for YOUR fish, and don't worry about the other fish.
 
I am very simple minded. So no offense to anyone here.
No offence taken, and my comments above certainly didn't mean to imply you or anyone else was "simple minded"; merely that what at first glance looks a simple enough argument is actually more complex than you or I might imagine.
But I have to ask... Do you really think the fish know they are not in a river or stream anymore?
In some cases, yes, the fish quite clearly resent being "cooped up". Take for example Colombian shark catfish. Wild fish are migratory and swim up and down estuaries their entire lives. They spend long periods of time at sea. When kept in aquaria, they often tread water in one corner, looking thoroughly miserable. Of course, they're not "unhappy" as such, but their migratory instinct is frustrated, and at some level, they must be stressed by that. You can reduce this problem by providing a big tank with a strong water current and offering the right level of salinity, but do they ever "act normally"? In public aquaria these catfish swim constantly, often round and around their tanks like sharks, and it's hard to come to the conclusion they'd be "happier" in the wild.

But most fish we keep do not travel long distances. Territorial cichlids will settle in one patch and basically stay their for their whole lives until the get eaten or otherwise removed. Killifish often occupy small patches too, as in all likelihood do the majority of labyrinth fish. Tetras, small barbs and danios are a mixed bag, but most probably don't move very far -- in absolute terms -- their entire lives, even if they are fairly active within that patch of ground, darting about constantly.

Do you think they swim there thinking, "man this aquarium sucks, I wish I was back in the Nile with my buddies." C'mon a fish doesn't think, it only reacts.
As in biology generally, things are complicated. We can be 100% certain they don't think in the same way we do, that's for certain. But on the other hand, it is very difficult to deny fish get stressed by certain environmental things, so whether they're actually "unhappy" is debatable, but they can certainly be stressed, frustrated, bullied or sexually harassed.
But I also realize that the fish doesn't have a clue wether it is in a 60 gallon tank or the Amazon river. It just reacts to it's enviorment.
Yes and no; a fish can be frustrated if its environment doesn't match it's requirements. Whether it merely reacts or does actually feel unhappy is difficult to determine, perhaps impossible.

Cheers, Neale
 
WOW! Great rebutal! Some great information. Some of the fish you speak of, I have no idea about. I can only relate to the fish I have. Tetras, barbs, RTBS. They don't get very big, and I can't imagine they travel far at all in the wild. All I know is that I provide the best care I know how. I am comfortable with how the fish I keep are living. They aren't sick, they swim all the time, and eat like pigs. hahahaha. I have always wondered what they "think" when the look back at me thru the tank. It probably goes something like this... "OH! I see him.... please feed me... please oh please feed me. Darn! He didn't feed us again. Why does he just stare at us? Can he see we need FOOD!" For the love of all fish gods, please make him feed us!"

HAHAHAHA I am wierd I know.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top