In Need Of Advice!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bryanh2901

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. My name's Bryan. I recently upgrade to a 240 litre tank from a 60. The new tank was a friends who was giving it up and came with a few Kribs. I transferred my community fish (3 weeks ago) and added a few other fish since (guppies and corydoras) I have been doing regular water changes but have lost a few fish of my own. Noticed this morning my male Betta has had it's left fin nipped. Would be devastated to lose him. Will this grow back? Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any help and advice would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks!

It will most likely be the guppies that are nipping the betta's fins. Bettas and guppies shouldn't be kept together; as they look so similar you often get aggression problems.

The fins should heal, but you're going to have to separate them.

Have you tested the water at all? Poor water quality is the biggest killer of fish.

Thanks for yor reply. I haven't seen any problems from the guppies/betta but I did add a couple of female guppies just over a week ago so I'm asuming it could be them then? The males have been with the betta for 6-8 months without any problems in the smaller tank...

I haven't done any water tests. Should I buy a "general test kit" (if there's such a thing!) or should I be testing for something in particular?

There are strips that will check multiple things like ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, hardness and alkalinity. I personally use an api master test kit that uses vials that you fill with the water you are testing and add drops and compare the colors to a chart. The master test kit tests for ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. It will give you a lot more tests somewhere in the hundreds vs strips around 30 depending on the pack size you get. If you go with the master test kit read the instructions for each thing that you are testing as some you have to wait some time for results or invert or shake the tube after adding drops or shake the bottle of chemical before using, things like that. So I guess get a "general test kit"

Yes, there are kits, but stay away from the strips as these are notorious for being unreliable. A liquid test kit (ammonia and nitrite are very important, nitrate and pH are very helpful) and there are several different brands. However, the API master kit as describe in the post above is probably the most accessible for beginners and people with limited access to good LFS (I fall into the latter category). It will run you about $30 new from petco or PetsMart, but ebay and amazon can get then to you for less.

Can you give us a full list of your stock (species and numbers of each, please)? If you still have that 60 liter, you should put the betta in that by himself.

Ok, I have now discovered the betta has picked up a fungul infection. It has spread so quickly since yesterday morning!! He looks like he's on his last legs now. Is he beyond saving and is there anything I could/should be doing?
Ok, I have now discovered the betta has picked up a fungul infection. It has spread so quickly since yesterday morning!! He looks like he's on his last legs now. Is he beyond saving and is there anything I could/should be doing?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back