Impromptu betta purchase!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flubberlump

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've wanted a betta tank for ages. It was one of those things that I kept saying I would get once we'd decorated the new house (also under orders from the boyfriend.) I went to my LFS last Friday to get fish for my other tank, and in with the albino cories I bought was the most beautiful yellow half moon male betta. This LFS often has some gorgeous bettas in and last week they also had a lovely purple and blue dragonscale, as well as quite a few veiltails of various colours, but I'd never seen a yellow halfmoon like this before. He was right at the front of the tank nosy'ing at what was going on outside. I wanted him, but there was no way he could go in my community tank and I'd always said that when I got a betta I'd set up a separate tank for him.

So I told the boyfriend about this betta and how gorgeous he was and how I'd fallen in love. He said no. The following day I started looking online to see if I could find a bargain tank to set up for him. I found a couple and text him to say how I'd found some little tanks and how perfect they'd be for the betta. He didn't say yes, but didn't say no either. That meant we were on for the betta, I just needed to find a suitable tank. Cue instant phone call to the LFS to see whether the betta was still there and see if they'd keep him for me. I was told that it's not something they usually do, but they'd keep him for me on this occasion. He also said that someone had nearly bought him that day but had decided to take another one. Good news for me.

Now as much as I'm the fish keeper of the household, I do appreciate that the tank itself lives in the living room, so it's only fair that t'other half likes the look of the tank too. So I spent the whole weekend obsessively scouring the Internet for a suitable tank. I'd find a few, show the boyfriend, he'd say he didn't like them. So I carried on. I finally found one on eBay and the auction finished on Sunday, but I was outbid. I rang the LFS again on Monday just to let them know that I was still sorting a tank, and they said they'd keep him until midweek. I found another advertised on Facebook and sent the seller a message, but it had sold. Then, I finally found a tank that we agreed on, and bought it on Monday. £25 for a 25litre tank less that 6 months old, with filter and lights. Just needed a heater - easily sorted. We collected it and it was scrubbed and filled full of plants, wood, pebbles, sand and moss from the other tank, and the filter filled with media from the other tank.

I went to collect him and 3 Sulawesi snails. Now he's finally floating in a bag in the tank, waiting to move in. After a frantic few days of setting up this impromptu tank just for him, he'd better like it! I don't think I've ever done anything so fast! I'm just glad I had the other mature tank to donate media and sand etc so I didn't have to spend weeks fishless cycling beforehand. He'd have been sold otherwise,

Here are some photos, meet Benny. And the setup before he's put in it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'll be topping the water up once he and the snails are in, I've left room for the bags to float. I'll be putting some water lettuce in out of the old tank too, but that'll be easier to do once the floating bags have gone.

Edit: the Patrick ornament was at the request of my boyfriend. Since he agreed to the tank I thought it was only fair :D

The tank looks great! Benny is beautiful, I don't think I've seen a yellow betta like him before.

Thank you :) no I hadn't either. The staff at the LFS were all saying how nice he was and that several people had wanted to buy him since I reserved him. I'm sure my non-fishy friends and family think I'm mad going crazy trying to set up a tank for one particular fish. I kept being told 'there'll be other bettas'.

What a great little tank!!

And man, he's so unusual and gorgeous!

Excellent job on this whirlwind project!

Thanks :) I'm happy with it. I had a bit of an idea of what I wanted already but trying to get the plants ordered online ready for the cutoff for same day dispatch was a bit frantic o_O

All of them are eating really well too so I'm pleased.

Some updated photos of Benny. He's not in his own tank yet as it's not quite finished cycling. It's nearly there though.

I'm pretty sure his tail has grown. Looking back through the photos it does seem bigger in relation to his body, but what would be new growth is clear in colour. The edges look more rounded too. He was in a tank with rummynoses at the LFS and they were chasing him, so I wonder whether he'd been nipped. I've only had him since Tuesday though so it doesn't seem like very long for there to be such a noticeable difference. There is one, I just hope it's good.

What do you think?

Tuesday
image.jpeg

Today
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On another note, I know bettas are known to be greedy, but he really is a pig. He'll eat everything except flake, he even had a go at the broccoli I put in for the snails. I had him eating out of a pipette the second day I had him, and by the third he was biting the end of it. I'll find out how to upload a video.

It sure does seem that his tail has grown?!!! Wow..he's striking! What a find!

It does seem bigger. I know that when tails and fins grow back they grow back clear so I hope that's what it is. I've only had him 6 days!

He is lovely. He's with the Sulawesi snails still, and I haven't seen him do anything untoward. He's had a look at them but that's all. He took a piece of flake off the back of one the other day where it had landed. He spat it back out again though.

I wanted to get a photo of him flaring so I could check his fins and tail better but he wouldn't even do it at his reflection!

A few updated photos. His tail has definitely grown. He's so shimmery now too, all gold and blue iridescence. I take back the statement about him not eating flake; he does now. He's starting to take food from the end of my finger if I put it in the water now. I'm hoping to teach him a few things, he seems to pick things up fast and he'll do anything for food I think.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

IMG_1321.JPG Wow!!! He gets prettier by the minute!!! I was at my lfs today to pic up some RO and scored an amazing piece of spider wood. They had tons of the most gorgeous betas I've ever seen! I wanted them all.

I can't believe how fast his fins are growing. Still can't get a photo of him flaring because he's just too chilled out.

Ooo I like that wood! What are you doing with it? I took a risk with mine because I was in such a rush. I needed it straight away so ordered it online for next day delivery, but could only get a 'lucky dip' piece. I ended up with a really nice piece though, perfect for my tank and a good price too. I don't know about over there but wood can be pretty pricey over here.

I can't believe how fast his fins are growing. Still can't get a photo of him flaring because he's just too chilled out.

Well I can't wait to see him flaring!!

Ooo I like that wood! What are you doing with it? I took a risk with mine because I was in such a rush. I needed it straight away so ordered it online for next day delivery, but could only get a 'lucky dip' piece. I ended up with a really nice piece though, perfect for my tank and a good price too. I don't know about over there but wood can be pretty pricey over here.

This piece will JUST fit into my tank ....although I have no idea how I'll get it thru the tiny opening at the top (which makes life near impossible). I trimmed a few longer branches but don't want to have to cut in half to get in....so fingers crossed.

This piece was 19.99 which isn't terrible. Next size up was 29.99 and then skyrocketed from there. On line there are much better prices but you never know what you'll end up with. I tried ordering a small piece of malasian driftwood from amazon a few months back and they sent me a super hero costume for a dog?!?!?!?? Green lantern to be exact...in a size small?! haha

Anyway, it's still boiling in a lobster pot and thank God I decided to do that because the water is very very dark brown. I didn't expect this many tannins to be in the water from spider wood?!

Haha! Do you actually have a small dog so you could use it or did it have to be returned? :D Fingers crossed you can fit it through the gap then! So it's going in the edge in your sig? It's lovely.

I was worried when I ordered my wood that I'd end up with a boring piece but I decided to risk it. Not sure I'd do that again though.

IMG_9217.JPG
Nope...two large dogs...dobies! Haha
And yes the edge is my only tank. Years ago I kept a large cichlid tank but since moved to a smaller space.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back