Im Proud Of Myself

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
Okay, i was at petsmart today, getting some AquaClear sponges ( for my intake) and airline tubing . So, i got it, and was wondeirng around ( had about a half hour before my gma picked me up) and saw a older, heavier lady bring in a bag with 2 pleco's in it, babies, floating upside down. She told the guy they were still alive, and that she wanted 2 new ones. So, he took them back, and i went in for the kill.

ME: Excuse me, i couldnt help but over hear, you are having some fish issues?
LADY:Well, yes i am. I bought 2 pleco's and i think they have swim bladder, so i brought them here.
ME: What size tank?
LADY: 25 g tall
ME: I hate to tell you this, but im afraid your tank isnt big enough for 1 pleco, let alone 2. They need a minnimum 55g tank. And , I am assuming you dont ahve that room
LADY: No i dont
ME: See, what happens is, they grow up to 24 inches, and use the bathroom frequently, making the water not so good to live in. And, they can become stunted, which can kill them.
LADY: Ohhh, i didnt know that.
ME: How long has it been set up?
LADY
: Months
ME: Good, your tanks is cycled, do you know what that is?
LADY: Isnt that when you let the tnak sit 2 weeks?
ME: Somewhat. You need to either add a amount of ammonia daily to it, and start with one fish, and do frequent water changes.
Lady: Why?
Me: See, in the tank, fish poop and pee. That is ammonia. Little bacteria eat up the ammonia ( which can burn them) and produce nitrIte. The nitrite gets into the fish's blood system, and suffocates them. So, another bacteria turns the NitrIte into NitrAte. The nirAte isnt harmful, unless it builds up. Do you understand?
Lady: Yes i do. Im glad i met you. With your knowledge, you can go along way in life ( I blush). So, what do you think happend to my fish.
Me: I dont think that both of your pleco's got swim bladder. It isnt that common of a thing. If i were to guess with out looking it up, i would assume its a internal bacterial infection. ( please correct me if i am wrong). I shoed her some good meds. She didnt buy it though, as she didnt ahve the money. Then i showed her that she would do well if she got a API Master Freshwater Liquid Testkit. She said she is going to pick one up next week.
Lady: So what do i do about the algea ont he bottom part of the tnak, and all the food leftover?
Me: Well, if you have alot of food leftover, then you are probably over feeding. But, i think that you can get rid of most of the leftover food and the bottom algea with some corries. So, i convinced her to buy 3 corries ( i said 4-5, but she didnt have the money). I also gave her this website adress, and my cell number.

I am pretty proud of myself. I usually chicken out for helping someone because im 15 and most people look at me like i am a little kid who dosent know anything.
 
good for you.i have conversations with people at petsmart and my lfs but i never try to give them advice.i always feel like they know more than i do.and i'm almost 41.
 
>__> The last part you said about how people look at you as a little kid, yeah thats me too. Im more knowledgeable than most of the people that work at the darn shop. >__> If I ever tried giving advice, the buyers would give me looks. :)

XD,
 
That's great krib! I used to do that sort of thing until the manager of petsmart came over and asked me not to because I was contradicting their employees. I frowned and walked away. It's sad when offering sound advice gets you into trouble.
 
aha good one man, and yea i know the whole kid feeling too, been there before
 
Great job! I often give advice too......I've lost WalMart a lot of sales!
 
Thanks guys! Ohhh, later in the convo, i said ( pointing at the oscars in the tank), you see those guys? You know how cute and cuddly they look? Well, in 6 months, they will 6 inches bigger. You also see the tag under them, that says 20g and up? Well, they need a minnimum 55g, and even that is pushing it.

I still had some time to waste after she left. So, i wanted to find out about how they ruled "Oscars need 20 and up", so i found a little flip by PETSMART. sitting out for people to use for good tank ideas. It said right "Oscars needa a 55 g minnimum", ofcourse, it was too good to be true, then it said " you can only put 2 firemouths in a tank, no matter what the size".

I really dont like them, not one BIT.
 
lol most probs ive been asked to leave lfs for giving advise that stopped them making sales
scot :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top