Im legally changing my name....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this because its exciting and funny. I am legally changing my name. I CANNOT stand the one I have now. So I am closing this chapter of my life and moving on. Giving it a 3 month trial period then I will file. But I am actually looking forward to it.
I have several ideas, just trying to finalize my decision and find the name I feel the most comfortable with. Erin is my number one choice, but I have a lot of love for the following, Mia, Delaney, Kaia, and Raven. Thoughts?

I like Erin. But of course, I think your current name is perfectly nice, too, so what do I know? :)

I've never been all that excited about my own name, but it works. Most of my adult life I've gone back and forth between Tom and Thomas; the last ten years or so I've come to prefer the latter, but most people still call me Tom anyway. That's OK; there are worse things they could be calling me. Thomas is more meaningful to me though; I seem to have a lot in common with my Biblical namesake.

Anyway. Good luck with the change.

Do you pronounce it Marry or Maree? You could always change the pronunciation, though I suppose getting other people to use it would be the problem.

I used to hate my name, not because of what it was but because it was the most common girl's name for babies born in the early 1950s. There were just so many Susans when I was at school - there were even 4 of us out of about 30 people working in the same department as me, and half of my co-workers were male, and three out of the eight female students in my chemistry class at university were Susans.

Well, while growing up my name changed into Leslie (for one of my grandma's forgot always that my name was actually Stanley). So, everyone called me Leslie. But I was also called Rick (short for my second name). At some point, when I used the name Stanley again, I thought that it was a kind of a nerdy name. Then everybody started to call me Stan. And it's still Stan... And yes, I do have to admit that I'm a kind of nerdy as well... And I'm proud of it...
Btw, I was named after my mom's ex's brother by her. At that time, my father wasn't aware of it... If he knew, he probably wouldn't have agreed with it... My mom wanted to call me firstly Shane (after the title of the 50's western with Alan Ladd starring). But I guess, my mom wanted to learn my dad a lesson. And called me after her ex-partner's brother instead.

I used to hate my name, not because of what it was but because it was the most common girl's name for babies born in the early 1950s. There were just so many Susans when I was at school - there were even 4 of us out of about 30 people working in the same department as me, and half of my co-workers were male, and three out of the eight female students in my chemistry class at university were Susans.
I can relate to that. One of the places I worked at had a boss called Colin and when people came in asking for Colin we would say "which one do you want?"

My friend's dad was also called Colin and whenever we went over to visit, it was always big Colin or little Colin. If anyone just said Colin, it was "which one?" :)

And I had a friend called Colin and when we went to various pet shops, someone in the store would say "hi Colin" and we would both answer "hi" back at them. If the staff member had something for one of us, they would say "Colin, we got this in". And we would both turn and say, "which Colin?"

When I first saw your post, I thought that you were a dude (based on your profile photo), wanting a girl's name.
I wasn't sure how to respond.
Unless you really are a dude, in which case- well, that's cool, too.

My first name is Greg, but people have been erroneously calling me "Gary" my whole life. Compared to what they do to my last name, Gary isn't much of an issue.
I sometimes joke with my wife that I should change the spelling of my last name, in order to more closely match one of the horrible mispronunciations people use, but there are too many to choose from.
Occasionally, when I spell my last name for those who have needed it, they will pause and ask "Are you sure?"
Yes, I'm pretty sure.

My first name was unusual at that time - not many Tania s in the UK in the '60s. Then I went to university and there were 3 of us! In the end it was 'big Tania', 'little Tania' and 'CND Tania' (because of my CND earrings).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back